1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge ram keyless entry

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by bigmac1276, Jan 21, 2010.

1. bigmac1276

bigmac1276 Member

I have a 2002 Dodge ram 1500 and the fob quit working one day. I finally went and got a new fob, changing the batteries didn't help in the old one, and did not realize to reprogram you needed one fob to work. So I started the process of reprogramming and the damn thing started to work. So I programmed both of them, came out the next morning and nothing. I reprogrammed them again and they worked for about 2 minutes and then nothing. I'm wondering if the module has a short in it that is causing it to lose the signal. Don't know what to do.
  2. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

sounds like a call to the dealership or time for an aftermarket remote start combo unit with lock controls !
  3. bigmac1276

bigmac1276 Member

Thats what I'm thinking. The dealership said that the module was like $500 or so, and aftermarket set up is less than $200.
  4. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

not to take this off topic but a quick question how do you reprogram them ? mine stopped honking the horn when i lock the truck for no reason

5. bigmac1276

bigmac1276 Member

There is a few different ways i tried. One is you put the key in ignition and turn it to on position. Wait for beeps to stop, up on the console on the roof keep hitting menu till you come to retrain fobs, or something like that, click yes and just do what it tells you. The other way is to put your key in and turn it on, press the lock button 5 times with a 2 second interval in between clicks, then turn the key off.
  6. bigmac1276

bigmac1276 Member

Took it to the dealer and they tested the system and it was a bad RKE module. Just as I thought. Cost me about $200 to diagnose and fix.