1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dodge ram heating up!!

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by vmj, Oct 30, 2011.

1. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

i have a 2000 3500 ram that heats up to over 190 when plowing or driving up hills, every once in awhile check engine light comes on so i have to stop truck and sit a bit....Wondering if anyone has had the same and what can be done???? Thanks

2. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

Diesel, gas?

when did you change the coolant last?

If it is a diesel and you dont clean the crank case vent canister at your oil changes the oil will get blown around the back of the radiator causing it to clog and heat up. The vent canister is mounted on the front of the motor behind the fan. It is plastic and has a couple holes it in with a hose going to the black canister mounted on the pump cover.

Here is the back of my 01's radiator before I cleaned it:
    [​IMG]

Ian

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  3. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

yes it is a diesel

4. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

coolant was change two winters ago..

5. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

try cranking the heat in a pinch

6. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

Yeah. I bet you need to clean the radiator. I had to do that to mine. It was covered. Cleaned it and changed the coolant. Runs cool as a cucumber now.

kevlars

7. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

thanks for the advice!!!! I will be looking at that tomarrow!

8. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

You can get rid of the canister and just add a hose to drip down twords the axle. That is if you can stand a few drops of oil in your driveway. :mechanic:

9. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Check the clutch on the cooling fan....

10. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

i changed that last year to a better one. (SO I WAS TOLD) never locked at radiator though.....

11. bh115577

bh115577 Senior Member

12. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

R.J.S. SNOWPLOW Senior Member

I had this same problem I change the radiator fluid and flush changed the thermostat 3 times and still would heat up and had to pull over for if to cool down
    Make a long story short I blew my trams had it rebuilt since having the trans rebuilt it stopped over heating

13. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

checked radiator and it is clean.....

14. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

GREAT!!!! Had tranny rebuilt quite a few years ago....

15. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

Did you check the front side of the radiator? That is where the oil builds up.

kevlars

16. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

looked at side fan is on. I think iys the ac cooler infont of it on other side... so i cant see..

17. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

Yeah. You need to look on the front of it. That is where mine was about 90% covered in oil and dirt. You can't really see it until you take it out. It is real simple to do. When I took mine out, and I saw it, I couldn't believe all the crap on it. I sprayed it down with degreaser and hosed it off real good and that took care of it. No problems now.

kevlars

18. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Thanks... i guess im going to learn how to drain and remove a radiator this weekend...

19. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

So your saying your blockage was on the front of rad not on fan side where canister is? Right?

20. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

water pump is also a common problem!