1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dodge ram front end

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 04f350powerv-xt, Aug 24, 2009.

1. 04f350powerv-xt

04f350powerv-xt Senior Member

How are the dodge ram 2500hd front ends? How do they hold up when plowing? I have heard they are not to good, was hoping you guys could shead some light on this for me. I'm looking at a 2009 2500hd, hemi reg cab long box with the plow prep.
    thanks

2. Grass Master

Grass Master Banned

with the ease of blade removal offered by all the manufacturers take it off when you are not plowing and you'll be fine with any plow matched with the proper vehicle.

3. 04f350powerv-xt

i try to take it off when ever i can but i usually leave it on for salt runs to level out the truck a bit. So in the winter the plow is on the truck 80% of the time.

4. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Grab some popcorn...

There's quite an aftermarket support for Dodge front ends. In my experience, none of the new 2500 front ends from any manufacturer will hold up to real world plowing. If they were rigid enough to handle the stresses they would ride like a roller skate and no one would by them. It's not just dodge, it's everyone.

If you want to go the route i take, you'll want to run what ya brung until it breaks. When it breaks, replace that part with the absolute best part you can find. You can pick up custom trackbars, balljoints, control arm bushings etc. My dodge was so bad up front I had almost 1/2 inch play at the ball socket on my track bar. Scarry bad! As stuff began to fail, I started to replace it with the following.

Front Timbrens
    Heavy Duty front Coils springs
    Heavy Duty Moog ball joints lubed consistently(that is the key, keep em lubed!) with a special graphite/moly lube
    HD Track bar with lifetime warranty. (Last track bar I'll "buy") It's a MOOG
    Energy suspension (polyurethane) control arm bushings
    Quality aftermarket Steering Stabilizer
    Quality aftermarket gas shocks all around.

All of this made the truck handle BETTER than new. And I haven't had a single problem with the front end since.

If I was to take it one step further I would get one of these.
    http://www.pscmotorsports.com/dodge-trucks-dodge-stabilizer-brackets-c-98_100.html
    one of These would take almost all of the flex/slop out of the steering. It's also acting as another cross member, making the front of the frame stronger for pushing.

5. 04f350powerv-xt

thanks for the advice.
    Sounds expensive....

6. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

But it wasn't all at once.

Timbrens $250
    Ball joints 200 plus install
    track bar 200 plus install
    steering stabilizer $100
    Gas shocks four corners was about $500 plus install
    bushings were $180 plus install

Except for, when I brought the truck in for the track bar, steering stabilizer, drive shaft center bearing, ball joints, and coils for $2,800 combined.

Wasn't too bad?

7. 04f350powerv-xt

now here is a question, is any of thie stuff you listed covered by dodge warrenty? i have 5 year/100,000 bumper to bumper extended warranty.

8. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Absolutely

9. stillen

stillen Senior Member

i have a 05 3/4 dodge with plow prep, it carries a fisher 8 foot blade no prob.... i picked it up with 30 k miles....... at 35k i had the entire front end replaced, to the tune of 5k dollars... all covered under warranty. i also bought the chrysler portfolio which covers the front end tranny , etc until 90k or 7 years from when i bought. well worth it in my opinion..... The truck does well, and like someone else said, every manufacturer has its probs..... i have heard complaints about dodge front ends, ( i work at a dodge dealer) .... and when i worked at ford, i heard complaints about trannies....... just dont try and be a cowboy when you're plowing and you'll be fine...

10. Iowalawn

Iowalawn Member
    from Iowa

i got a 08 Cummins, Plow prep, Auto Crew cab. Put a western Ultra MVP (V plow) 8 1/2, Not a Problem. Plow prep on a dodge is only skid plates and bigger alt. no susp. upgrade. all i got to say is Everything before 07 1/2 I do not like. 5.9 is a great motor, but the rest of the drive line is bad. move to the 5.9 or 6.7 with the 6 speed auto now you got something. Just my 2 Cents.