1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge Ram front axle joint

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by performanceplus, Jan 22, 2010.

1. performanceplus

performanceplus Senior Member

Anyone have any problems with u-joints in the front wheels of Dodge Ram 2500 diesel? Mine are clicking bad.
  2. stonewellmark

stonewellmark Member

Very common to go bad about $55 at Napa.
  3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

mopar i love them.

we make lots of money on the front ends of them. lack of locking hubs.

read up thay can be fun when wheel bearing hub unit is rusted in the knuckle.

and the axle hub nut is a big sucker. not a comon size in most guys tool boxes. 12 point sockets for the hub to knuckle bolts american 9/16 if i recall correct.
  4. nozzlehead

nozzlehead Junior Member
    from ne ohio

problems! Let me count! Na, it'd take too long. Quote from my good ol' Dodge garage; "Chrysler knows the u-joints in the 2500's are under sized but to fix it would cost them too much! I don't care what anybody says, if you can't grease them with every oil change, they ain't gonna last. So if you change them get the ones with grease fittings. If your truck is still under warrenty, dodge WILL NOT replace them with greaseable units; UNLESS, you provide them. So go to NAPA & get good units and have them do it. Good luck boss. Wait till your hubs start going. I'm losing a 2nd one right now. Another $471.00...for the hub only. Yahoo!
  5. sweetk30

fyi napa stuff is china joints.

get dana spicer or aam axle oem joints if you ask me.

or if money is no object then get a live spindle conversion kit with lock out hubs.

like this others out there. but this one for pic refrence use. http://www.dynatrac.com/products_freespin_dodge.html

like he said 471.?? for ( 1 ) hub / bearing unit. then ujoint and time and labor.

then add this up x2 and you will pay for the live spindle kit in the end vary fast and get lock out hubs up front also as a bonus.
  6. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

aam joints? those are the ones that are junk. they barely put any grease in them thats the problem. 30k miles and there dry. the u-joints are plenty big. i think the spicers are great my 01 had 140k on stock joints. im going to try greasable precisions when mine go. the hub assemblies are $371 from www.quad4x4.com aam ball joints suck too dana makes good greasables so does xrf. :drinkup:
  7. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

loads of fun to do! especially when the bearing assembly is seized into the hub as already mentioned. Better to have a u-joint sitting on the bench with a bearing assembly and probably 2 ball joints as that will likely be next week-ends project anyway! good luck!
  8. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

while you're laying on your back under the truck anyway, you might want to throw a new track bar in too. That way you won't have to constantly turn the steering wheel from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock just to keep the truck driving straight down the road. Sorry for the rant, I really don't hate Dodges. In fact I really like them - they feed my family and pay my mortgage!
  9. sweetk30

all good points. :drinkup:

and i dont lay on my back. :realmad:

i lift them on a 12k 2 post lift. wesport
  10. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

I hear you. I don't even have any tools at home. They are all here at the shop. Anything gets done, it gets done here. Hoists, air, inventory... oh where do I stop? Too much trouble at home or someone else's. Too used to the convenience, I guess
  11. TGM

TGM Senior Member

did the right front one in sept. just did the left front one 3 weeks ago. pita, but i had already separated the hub assemblies from doing ball joints in the spring so that part wasn't too bad really.
  12. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

you must be reffering to the 2nd gen track bar, the3rd gens are alot better, they make a kit to convert the 2n gen to the 3rd. aslo bd makes a nice steering box brace thats supposed to help too.