1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge Ram and plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by vermonter36, Oct 16, 2003.

1. vermonter36

vermonter36 Junior Member

I just bought a new Dodge Ram 2500 Quadcab and I am thinking about putting the 2 year old Meyer MDII plow from my ford F250
    on it. The Dodge does not have the plow prep package but the dealer told me the truck can handle the plow without it and even
    wrote on the contract that mounting a plow on the vehicle will not void the warranty.Does anyone know how these trucks will carry a plow?

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

It will do just fine.I would add a set of Timbren load boosters to the front suspension,and see how it does.If you feel it still sags too much there are heavier springs available.

Adding some ballast secured in the bed will help pull weight off the front axle as well.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i dont know why a manufacter would make a 3/4 ton with out
    a plow package

if you buy a hd truck your going to work it
    not just use it for a sunday drive

4. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Dodge does offer a plow prep package but, it's an option on the 2500 (and not avail. at all on the 1500 if I'm correct). It's a minimal amount too-- something around $85 - $110.
  5. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

With Dodge's new plow prep, don't you jut get an alternator w/ a higher output, and a T case skid plate, or is there something else? My Dad's thinking about getting one in the spring.
  6. vermonter36

I've been told that the plow prep package includes a more powerfull alternator( 165 amp instead of the 145 amp )and computer matched front springs.
  7. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

You are probably right. I spec'd one online for my Dad last winter, and for options, it listed the bigger alternator, and a skid plate. They probably changed it, which makes sense. By the way, how about some pics of the beast?:D We love seeing pics of new trucks on here :redbounce
  8. vermonter36

I spoke to the dealer about buying a skid plate and I found out that it's just plastic so I told him to forget it.I'll post pics of the "BEAST" tomorrow.