1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge Ram ABS light

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by fourseasonspm, Dec 13, 2007.

1. fourseasonspm

fourseasonspm Junior Member
    from CT

I have a dodge ram 2500 5.7liter hemi and a superduty boss straightblade plow.
    Today was the first big storm of the year, about 12 inches, and the first day of plowing with this truck. One small issue I noticed is that on very steep, slippery driveways, when all four wheels spin a bit the ABS and brake light will come on. Sometime after I'm done with the driveway, and on my way to the next it will turn off again. It seems to always be triggered by the wheels spinning fast on a icy surface. Anyone else have the same thing happen?
    Thanks
    Ben
    Four Seasons Property Maint.

2. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

I had the same thing last year only mine happened during a really wet slushy event...my dealer maint dept said that it is the ABS sensor mounted on the rear axle going bad. I have spoken with others about it and they all say the same thing..

..ABS sensor....

cheap...$20-$30 part

easy to replace

Buy 2 they are a common repair....

It will not hurt anything to do nothing, but....when the dash lights are on like you describe...both the ABS & Brake light...the ABS wont work...

3. nymustang50

nymustang50 Senior Member

Thats true yes and no.. The abs light will come on because its trying to stop the truck with abs and yet its not stopping so the abs module senses that theres a problem so it goes on triggering a code which then it goes out when it realizes it was nothing that you were just slipping. The abs light coming on could be a # of things. I know from working at my dealership(dodge) that abs sensors will get dirty and make it come on also. So it could be nothing or something. But if it goes on and goes off soon after I personally wouldn't worry about it. I know if we run cars in 4x4 on the lifts at work the abs light comes on only because its trying to slow the car or truck down but it cant.

4. fourseasonspm

fourseasonspm Junior Member
    from CT

Thanks for the info. I figured it wasn't anything too serious. I'll have to see how it goes during the storm thats coming tonight which is mostly ice.......

5. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

Same thing happened to me early this morning when I was trying to pull a guy out of a snow pile. Once I got all 4 wheels spinning, I heard a chime and it turned out to be the ABS and Brake light. After about 20 minutes they went out, never came on again until I was trying to push a large snow pile and starting spinning the tires again,but same thing, went out in a little while. I've got 30K miles on mine and this is the first its happened.