1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge ram 3500

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by R.J.S. SNOWPLOW, Nov 24, 2011.

1. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

R.J.S. SNOWPLOW Senior Member

I am thinking about getting a 3500 dualy say 95-99 cost 5-8k
    But I will be doing a frame off restore about 20k everything rebuilt and replaced
    Reason the cost of a brand new truck is about 50-60k and they are not truck built. A truck but built like a car
    But is it possible to add another dualy axle to the back making it a 10 wheel pickup truck

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Ya new truck prices are unreal. I would like to tackle a similar project.

You could add the second rear axle, but how would you get power to it? Small passenger buses have that single wheel rear axle to help with the weight, but they aren't drive wheels.

3. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

I don't think it would be a secondary drive axle. I am still thinking about this but I would move the drive axle forward and shorten the dry shaft but the second axle would need braking system
    Also would I be legally to carry more pay load

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

The truck would still have a specified GVW no matter how many axles you add. It's like putting 1 ton axles and springs onto a 1/2 ton truck. The state will still consider it a 1/2 ton truck.

Maybe you could get it inspected by DMV or something to increase the GVW, but I doubt that.

5. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

I was not talking about 1/2 ton truck.
    I seen a Lexus a guy added a secondary rear axle and had to get it state inspected and it did pass..don't know about the payload

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I know you didn't mean a 1/2 ton truck. A Lexus? :dizzy:

7. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

I seen the Lexus on the history channel.
    Also I am waiting for a reply from chip foose on this build

8. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Get a 07-09 Dodge Ram with the 6.7. I have had one since 07' and I love it. Best truck I have ever owned. Prob with the older ones is the trannys fall appart. Mine is going on its 5th plowing season with out a hick up. I am always towing and hauling with it in the summer too.

You can find one for $25-35k and it will save you all the time restoring it.

Just my $.02

9. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

Ever seen Trick my Truck? They did a '97 I think it was. They added a two drive axles sourced from some TopKick sized truck. Looked really cool and was functional (I think some of their builds are trash). I'll search around and see if I can find some web pics.

10. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

For 25-35k I would get someone else's problems plus the cost of repairing
    Now for 5-8k I still get problems but new engine, new trans, new axles, replace front and rear suspension, new braking system, new fuel sys, new ball joints, controll arms front frame beefed up
    I would spend about 20-30k. So for under $40k I would have a new truck
    Plus $15k for complete plow, vbox, lights, brand new
    That puts me about $55k
    A 2012 dodge ram 3500 is about $50k plus $15k =$65k I save $10k

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  11. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

I think a Blue Bird school bus would make a great platform for a custom truck. They usually come with a crappy P pumped 12 valve 5.9 Cummins engine and a Allison auto. Afew engine mods chop the frame add a smacked up mega cab and a long 8' dually box.... Most of all it would have a 30000lb frame and drive line!!! Plus air brakes or juice depending on what you like.

Perhaps after I get Franken Done.....

12. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

And for that $10k you have a 100,000 miles warranty plus you don't have 500+ hours into the project.

My time alone would be worth more than the $10k saved, plus the fact I have a bumper to bumper warranty.

You can buy a new 1 ton CTD for about $39k, Big Horn edition. Not Laramie, but very very nice.

No way in hell would I put $25k+ in a truck that's already 20 years old.

Just think of all the technology that has changed to make these trucks ride better, last longer with less maintenance.

Sure, if you have the time and want to have a project, have at it. But you're not saving $10k.

13. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Can't believe I just read that, absolutely insane!

14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

If it wasn't for all the idiots, the rest of us wouldn't look so good!

15. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

Newer trucks are not truck built anymore it's a truck but drives like a car

Plus a restoring shop does give you a 5 year warranty

Also it's not your money my money don't be jealous

Also if you don't having anything good to say don't say anything at all......a well maintained truck. And a rebuilt truck is just as good as or even better than a newer truck
    I HAVE ALWAYS REBUILT OLDER CARS AND TRUCK MY WHOLE LIFE.

Plus newer trucks may look nicer but they are loaded with sensors, electronics that are not made for the punishment
    We put these trucks though if I was not into using them for type of work I would buy a new one for enjoyment only

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  16. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

But you did!:dizzy:
    :nod::laughing::dizzy:

17. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

Now come my cheerleaders

18. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

There's no cheerleaders in the special Olympics.

[​IMG]

19. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

That's you, I seen around

20. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Nice, Mark!