1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge Ram 2500 and 2500HD

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by MoreSnowInCanad, Feb 10, 2009.

1. MoreSnowInCanad

MoreSnowInCanad Junior Member
    from Toronto

Is there a differance betweent the 2? If so what is it?

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I am pretty sure the difference is just the model year. But I have been wrong once before.

3. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

I have the 2500HD. I think it has a heavier suspension. Also if it has a 5.7 , the HD might not have the MDS/(I think thats the right term for the fuel shutdown of fuel to the cylinders)

4. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Its just a name change. They came out with 1500's in the new Body in 2002 And still sold old Body 2500/3500's in 2002. But when they released the new 2500/3500 late 2002 (titles 2003) they slapped heavy Duty on the Bumper

5. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

the differance is just spring rating and payload rating.
    Trucks that got the trailer tow could be HD trucks that got plow prep could be HD trucks that got both could be HD. All the CTD were HD.

6. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

ASD Auto Shut Down... it shuts down the fuel pump, injectors, PCM, removes spark, and in later models disconects the Batt and puts the trans in limp mode....
    All trucks built from mid 90's to present got ASD

it is a NTSB requirment... Just like seat belts being installed in a car/truck

7. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

cylinder shutdown is only available on 1500's

8. augerandblade

I didnt think it was just a name change. And on my HD I wouldnt want cylinder shutdown as I either am plowing or hauling with it. There are no recreation miles on it. Mines got what Dodge call the"SnowChief" Package

9. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

My 2003 doesn't say heavy duty anywhere on it...

10. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

Mine is a 2001, dosen't say HD on the truck but says 2500HD on the window sticker. Has overload springs but those were optional.

11. turfmasters

turfmasters Member

Go to pickuptruck.com

Your answer will be found there.

12. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

actually, Chrysler calls it MDS Multi Displacement System.

13. augerandblade

Why any light truck manufacturer call their product HEAVY DUTY is beyond me. Heavy Duty trucks are the big long haulers , mine trucks, garbage etc. I remember looking at a repair manual for my truck and it was titled light duty. So I guess we got light duty heavy duty trucks.2010 trucks are going to here soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

in the 2nd gen modles 94-2002 they made a 2500 and a 2500HD the hd had bigger brake rotors, beefier front and a few other things. i know this because the guy who owned my truck before me didnt put the hd brakes on it, and when i had to have em redone all the parts were diffrent after looking up my vin.