1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge Ram 1500 gasser or Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by fcbob, Mar 11, 2013.

1. fcbob

fcbob Junior Member
    from none

I have a choice to make between two trucks. I currently plow about 300 feet of a gravel and my own concrete drive. I posted earlier about a Dodge 1500 and my 8'2 boss V and the opinions seemed to all be it wouldn't be a problem. So there we have it I was shopping for a 1500.

I found a 1998 ram 1500 quad 5.9L V8 in good shape 170,000 miles front ball joints replaced, good tires and drives straight for 4 grand.

I also found a 1998 Ram 2500 quad 5.9L 6 cyls, Diesel with 234,043. Basically in the same shape as the 1500 but this one is 6 grand.

This truck will not be just a plow truck. It will be a family truck, hunting, fishing camping. I sold my big pontoon because it was a pain at the dock. So I just have a 18 foot lund which would be the heaviest thing I would ever pull. So the need for a 3/4 ton is pretty much none for any other purpose I would use the truck for besides plowing. I have never owned a Diesel I have heard they are harder to work on and more expensive to repair. I have also heard they are more reliable and get better mileage.

So what do you all think? Which one would you go with? I am looking for pros and cons from folks that have owned these trucks or trucks like them. Thanks FCB

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  2. paa

paa Junior Member

Do yourself and your pocketbook a favor and do not hang a full size plow on a 1/2 ton
    front end.

3. just plow it

just plow it Senior Member

If you can get him down to $5k then go with the Cummins, $6K seems a little steep for that many miles. I had a 96 Cummins with 300,000 miles before the trany went out and the motor still ran like a top and i'm not easy on my trucks.

4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I would be a little more brave to have that plow on a dodge half ton IF it were the old solid axle and not the newer junk ifs. But I agree an 8 1/2' vee is a bit much.

5. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Is the diesel a 12 valve or a 24? They made both in 98.

6. GVL LLC

GVL LLC Senior Member

Go with the diesel and try to talk him down alittle. you should be able to with that many miles. If its properly maintained that truck will get you to at least 300,000 or more. The biggest problem on that truck is the tranny which would also be a problem on the 1500. I also wouldnt hang a plow on the 1500. The dodge front ends wear out fast enough without a plow. I wouldnt throw an 8 ft plow on any brand's one ton. If you werent plowing with it I would say get the 1500 but since your plowing go with the diesel.

7. fcbob

fcbob Junior Member
    from none

It is a 12 valve. I wait to be enlightening on which one is better.

8. GVL LLC

GVL LLC Senior Member

go with it. the 12 is very reliable

9. Littlejeep

Littlejeep Junior Member

1500 would be fine

10. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Nope. Not with that heavy V Boss on it. Just because it holds it, doesn't mean it's up the work. Go with the 2500.

11. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

go with the diesel, repairs wont be much more than the half ton and will hold up plowing much better , Plus you will always get your money back with the 12 valve one way or another.

12. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

No comparison.... Go with the 12 valver. This truck is one of the most sought after trucks in this era because of the nicer interior and the 4 door configurations. Make sure the body mount under the drivers feet is solid and no cracking/rust. Also the frame can crack in the lower S bend near the back portion of the truck. Simpilly crawl under and follow the underside of the frame lip watching for mud rust and possible crackage.

Are there faster diesels ?? Yes, but find one which lasts longer!!

13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

It's priced right, a hair steep. I just sold a 95 2500 with a few goodies, a new trans and under 150k for $6k. Sold it in a day, should've asked more.

A few weeks earlier, I sold a 98 1500 x cab gasser and had to fight forever to finally get $750 for it. Yes, $750. It wasn't bad, loaded power, had a 5.9 and only 126k.

This one is mine and for sale, not much of a family truck though lol:

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=145850

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  14. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

12 valve hands down. Mechanical everything and no chance of a 53 block which most early 24's were. The 1998 Dodges were probably the best ones made in my opinion. You got the upgraded interior while retaining the reliability of a 12 valve.

Edit: I guess it is possible for a 12 valve to be a 53. Some used Mexican Blocks which were the "good" ones.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  15. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

2500-better front axle, better rear axle, better trans, much better mileage, and much better resale. Oh yeah better frame as well.

16. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

Go with the 2500. As the other guys mentioned; better rears, & yes better milage. Nothing beats having a Dana 60 solid front axel for plowing! The ifs on the 1500 just isn't up to the task of handling that heavy plow.

17. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

The half ton has a SFA D44 not IFS, just sayin.

18. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Once you learn the diesel it is no harder to work on than any other motor, that 12V is a pretty simple great engine, as far as cost of parts just stay away from the Dodge dealer for any Cummins parts, they mark them up dramatically and Cummins parts are readily available at very reasonable prices from reputable cummins dealers via the internet. I would also say that the 8 1/2' Boss Vee combined with the Ram 2500 12V Cummins is a plow truck any one on who knows anything on plowsite would love to own. Also 1/2 ton gassers are a dime a dozen, a decent older Ram Cummins is a rare bird so buy it and keep it nice it will only get rarer. Try to steal it for $5000.