1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dodge power wagon

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by snowsniper1, Dec 16, 2008.

1. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

what do u guys think about a newer power wagon?i hamev chevys and fords but no dodge so iam thinking of a 2500 quad cab power wgon or 3500 quad cab ctdit would be my daily driver and a backup truck problly a 8.2 boss v w/wings.

2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Agree. Powerwagon not available with Cummins. Get a Cummins. And actually, remove all badges for a clean look.

4. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I'm a big Cummins fan but, in addition to the differences you have listed, what about...
    Front and rear electronic lockers.
    Electronic disconnecting front antiroll bar.
    The increased ride height (1.8"f/1.4"r) along with the different spring rates.
    Additional skid plates.

If you want a Power Wagon, just buy one. Its too expensive to duplicate it exactly.

If you want a diesel, then by all means buy the CTD.

I think its stupid as to why Dodge doesn't make the Power Wagon with a CTD. A local dealer told me its due to the weight of the winch along with the weight of the inline sex. I find that hard to believe. I thought it may be because they couldn't fit the winch behind the bumper with the intercooler there. :confused: Do you guys have any knowledge or ideas?

5. BigDave12768

Ride Height is the tires. With AHD(Snow plow prep) you are at same spring height with 285's

6. snowsniper1

thanks,so can you mount a vblade on a power wagon

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You can not but a plow on a regular cab Power Wagon with out voiding the warranty and yes the problem is the winch. The winch adds enough weight to the front axle to make it incapable maintain proper weight distribution. The addition of a plow mount pushes it over the 62% GVW allowed on the front axle.

I bought one of these trucks and returned it the next day when I found that I could not install a plow an maintain warranty. Spent 2 hours with the sales manager fitting a mount to be sure it would work with the winch. It fit so I signed the papers drove home and was looking for the proper tire pressures when I found the disclaimer, called Dodge direct and they told me to take it back to the dealer.

8. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

todays Powerwagon is over priced. I don't know about anyone else i have never used a winch on the front of daily driven pickup. it has the same motor as 1500/2500 gas trucks, with the suspention of the ctd. if you look at KBB or NADA the powerwagon don't hold there value as well as the CTD

i could write pages about the CTD so i'll just say
    if your going bang for your $$$ then get the CTD

9. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

10. tuna

tuna Senior Member

11. BigDave12768

that truck is the same height as a 3500/2500 with the AHD. Then its just the 1.2 inches of taller tires. AHD package with same tires = same height.

12. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

dave is right AHD package with the same tire is the same height.

13. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I'm not trying to be a complete PITA, but I keep reading different. I have provided links that back up what I believe is correct, yet I haven't seen a single link proving me incorrect. According to everything I've just now looked up, it has its own unique suspension underneath it. I agree that part of the difference is due to the tires, but it does have a suspension lift on it.

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/pickup/163_0410_2005_dodge_ram_power_wagon/index.html

http://www.gulfcoastnews.com/rt2005dodgepowerwagon.htm

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/dodge/0610dp_2005_dodge_ram_cummins_2500_power_wagon_4x4/index.html

http://fourwheeler.automotive.com/19012/129-0501-dodge-ram-power-wagon/index.html

If I'm wrong, I apologize. I just can't see how all these websites state very similar facts to what I said, but yet they're all wrong. :confused:

Oh and for the record, I'd go with the CTD too.

14. snowsniper1

thanks guys

15. BigDave12768

Funny thing Duncan your post proved you wrong and us right too though. I clearly claimed in a post above that it was the larger tires that gave it the height. Then you reply with links that contradic your last post. TIRES are the real height boost in the truck. Yeah so it has a useless off road suspension. And a rear end that will get you at best 8mpg. You are the one who posted while pleasuring yourself to the thought of owning a useless over priced toy. With tons of mods that would not be used as a daily driver. Where the first post started out at. So all your links prove is that you have way to much time on your hands and you need to clean of keyboard after reading them I am sure. So re read the first post. DAILY DRIVER your posts talk him out of truck more than anything

16. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I never was trying to convince him of going with the PW. I was just trying to get the facts straight that the tires (like you said) AND suspension (what I said) is what gives the truck its lift. Agree? So can we call a truce now and let snowsniper have his thread back? :)

17. Lifted4x4Astro

Lifted4x4Astro Senior Member

Actually BigDave...the tires are less than 1/2 the actual lift...from BFG's website the stock 265 rugged trails are 31.4" tall and the 285 A/T's are 32.7" tall. That means the tires give less than 3/4" lift. ussmileyflag

18. BigDave12768

Read all the posts. My 3500 with AHD and 295 nittos stands higher than the power wagon. The AHD springs are just as high as the "lift" in a power wagon. Not sure how old you are but. But back in the 80's ford made f350 f150 and ranger called Big foot cruiser. That special edtion truck stood out from others when it came to height. The POWER WAGAON IS NOT TALLER THAN A AHD PACKAGE TRUCK WITH 33'S ON IT.

19. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

BigDave- some people only know what they read or see on the net (ya know how reLIEable that is) I have even seen dealer brochures listing the wrong info... Dealer order forms are joke. I was a ASE master tech and 5 star tech for too many years. I was helpping a buddy order a new truck a few years ago. simple Std cab 8 ft bed 2500 CTD automatic 4x plow prep, Tow pakage, Trans cooler, high amp alt, skid plates and the LSD rear. he did not want the Power windows/locks, Light group, and not chrome grille

DCX would not let us order the truck with all the options you could get the color keyed grille with tht off-road pakage but it came with everyting but had lights and you could not have plow prep.... They did not want to upgrade the alt unless you had the light group or windows/locks.. I talked him into the light group and We ended up ordering a truck and adding the color keyed grille and skid plates. it was crazy dumb crap....

I remember the "big foot" trucks the ford dealers would sell, they had a factory 6 inch lift. I think they had a astro van also it was 4x with 3 inch lift... they all had to be BLUE...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  20. Lifted4x4Astro

Lifted4x4Astro Senior Member

I did read all the posts MORON! You stated "TIRES are the real height boost in the truck." This is simply NOT true. as I posted EXACT info directly from the BFG website, the total diameter difference is 1.3" that is EXACTLY 0.65" of lift only from the tires. Dodge lists a lift of 1.8" in front and 1.4" in the rear. What they don't say is if that is suspension lift or total lift. There HAS to be a difference in suspension because the tires simply will NOT provide 1.8" in front and 1.4" in the back especially seeing as they run 285's on all 4 corners.

BTW, I never disagreed that your truck with 295's is taller. The 285's are shorter. Don't forget your 1 Ton truck will have stiffer springs than a 3/4 ton so it should sit higher especially combined with taller tires.

Just for your info I am 37 years young. ussmileyflag Oh and what does something Ford did back in the 80's mean to a new Power Wagon?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008