1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge Power Wagon?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Rgory, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Rgory

Rgory Member

Hello,

I am doing a little day dreaming here and just curious if I was to strike it rich and bought an 05 Power Wagon could I install a western ultra-mount on the truck?

Seems like a foolish question I know, because it is just a beefed up 2500. However it also incorporates an electronically disengaging track bar and I dont know if the plow mount would interfere or cause problems with that.

Thanks guys,

Ryan

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You wight run in to plow frame clearance problems with the front winch.?
    But with all of those goodies who could resist...

3. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

I dont think that the track bar would cause a problem. I think your problem would come in with the winch getting in the way of the mount. I could be wrong on that. It sure would be a sweet plow rig. Especially with the electronic lockers both front and rear. To bad ya can't get a Cummins in it.

William

4. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Can't put a plow on it [I would have bought one]It's right in the power wagons owners manual.Plow is NOT to be installed on this truck

5. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Hmmmm

Hmmmm can you post a copy of the manual page... do they say anything else????

6. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Sorry you can go to your local dealer and look at the power wagon manual there[I did].I have 2 05 dodges one hemi and one cummins and those manuals are both different as is the one for the power wagon.Or you could just go to dodge trucks.com and try and build one and you will see they will not offer the plow prep[the winch is in the way]

7. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

I know the sticker says "this vehicle NOT factory equipped for snow plow..."
    but I wanted to see if there was something model specific to the Power Wagon that they said in the manual itself. The sticker just had the standard disclaimer that is on every truck without plow prep package...

Reason I asked is my 96 manual actually listed the maximum weights for plows for the plow prep package... If I remember they were somthing like 600 pounds...

8. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

I didn't say anything about the window sticker its in the owners manual!

9. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Understood, thanks...

10. Rgory

Rgory Member

There goes my dreams... Sad sad day for this dodge owner. Now the question becomes which would I want more if I struck it rich... the truck or the fun plowing...

They have a sweet stance too. Compared to the regular 2500 with plow prep they are a good 5/6 inches higher.

Thanks guys,

Ryan

11. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Well we didn't yet find out why they shouldn't have a plow on them... I'd like to see what the different wording is in the owner's manuals...

If they offered them with the Cummins that would be one sweet off road vehicle.

12. Rgory

Rgory Member

Dealers are amazing

Well because I have nothing better to do, or have something better to do and just dont want to do it.

I decided to call a local dealer that had a power wagon on his lot. Man these guys would tell you anything to get you in the truck. I explained to him that if I was to buy one I would want to place a plow on the truck and that I was curious if you could and if it would still be covered under the warranty. To which he quickly replied why yes of course you can put a plow on this truck. And then I had told him that I had read somewhere that the owners manual advises against it, to which he said well we will have our truck expert get back to you once he finds the exact answer. So shortly I should be hearing word from the horses mouth.

Interesting side note is that the '06 Power wagons will only offer a 3/36k warranty in contrast to the current 7/70k. Hmm now doesnt that say something about the product? Anyways thanks guys I will keep you posted.

p.s. as far as I can tell the winch is mounted up around the bumper level inside of the frame rails so I wouldnt see an ultra-mount getting in the way all that much? I dont know we will see how this works out.

Ryan

13. Rgory

Rgory Member

P.s. I just spoke to a tech at Western who stated that the frame is exactly the same as a 2500 truck but the winch would need to be removed in order to mount the plow. Removed more like modified. Ok guys sorry just like to be well informed waiting to hear back about warranty info.

Ryan

14. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Thanks! Good to hear some concrete evidence... similar discussion came up with the Rubicon and I was keeping an eye on the tread to find out if there were any structural differences that would cause the plow mount not to fit... Ditto here, is something different in the front end/front frame or is Dodge advising against it for some other reason (or the usual reason that it doesn't have the plow prep package...).

I could guess they would be afraid of someone plowing with the front locker on and ripping up axle u joints...

15. Rgory

Rgory Member

Yeah well the dealer finally got back to me and stated that his service department would stand behind the warranty no problem even with a plow on it. Would you tear up u-joints with the front locker on? If anyone else has any input or experiences I would love to hear about them.

Ryan

16. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Hey to each his own I didn't buy one because my local dealer said they would not cover it and the local plow installer said they would not put a plow on it.So they sold me a less expensive truck,properly equiped for the work I do with it.