1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by N&CLandscaping, Jan 23, 2007.

1. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping Senior Member
    from Medford

What would be the best plow to put on a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4X2? I know its not 4 wheel drive, but oh well, its what I got. Any sugestions?? Im really looking and need to know fast, thanks guys
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

honestly, none! find an older truck already with a plow just for your plowing needs, and besides, that would probably run you the same as a decent plow setup, wiht all the mounts and wiring needed for your truck installed. You can find some killer deals around right now from people who bought plow trucks and now can't pay for them so they are selling!!

you may be able to push a VERY little with a 7.5ft or less blade with TONS of ballast, but, thats really pushing it. Don't waste the money on a blade on that truck!
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

BUY A DIFFERENT TRUCK! No matter what you do get something with 4x4 or a heavier truck, trying to plow with a 1/2 ton 4x2 is insane. If you can't afford one or can't find one I would honestly not waste the money on a plow or even trying to plow snow. It's not going to work worth a crap pure and simple!
  4. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

No offense, but don't waste your time or money putting a plow on a 2 WD 1/2 ton pickup.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

ill tell you from experiance a dodge ram without 4wd will plow like complete piss, no matter the ballest. last year my 4wd broke in the middle of plowing and left me with only rear wheel drive, and i couldent even drive let alone plow the lot i was in, and i had around 600-700 pds of ballest in the bed.

so dont waist your time man.
  6. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

That truck wouldn't even get me up my hill, nevermind push a blade.
  7. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

snow plow prep

I would not put a plow on any Dodge truck that didn't have snow plow prep package. This package is a heavy duty drive train package. Also I have to go along with the 4 x 4 for plowing.

8. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

I can attest to everything that has been posted. The 4wd went out on the 2000 dodge 2500 we were plowing with this yaer and that thing went every direction but straight. And forget about trying to plow on any kind grade,snow, or ice packed snow it aint happening. No matter what kind of tires weight etc. Oh yeah we had about 20 bags of ice melt in the back as well.

Buy a dedicated used 4by4 with plow, u wesport can get one for the price of a new plow set up.
  9. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Damn, a 1/2-ton 4x2 Dodge....are ya homeless too? :eek:
  10. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I don't understand it. I have a fleet of Dodge trucks and I can plow as much as 6 inches with most of them without engaging the 4x4. Most don't even carry any ballast other than a dump insert ect. Mine are all pre 94, maybe that makes a difference.
  11. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Makes a big difference.

I have a 94 I keep like a show car for whatever reason but it is hardly drove. This thing gets stuck on flat services with a little mud on top. I took it off the road to go fishing once and had to push it back out once the trail turned slick with some top mud.

Besides the fact that it would play all kinds of havoc on the front-end components and electrical system. I am not sure you can even buy a mount for a 2wheel drive Ram?

If you have some extra cash buy a good snow blower and decent shovel because you will get more work done that way then a plow on a 2 wheel drive.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

yeah with a dump insert, lol thats a good bit of weight.
  13. zippy3497

zippy3497 Junior Member

I can agree & dis-agree with the comments so far. I had at 1 time a 3/4 ton 2wd dually with a 7.5' western & wings on it, we would put -6- 80# bags of sand in it for ballast and you couldnt get this truck stuck.......it sucked at times backing up because it would slide, but it plowed really great.

BUT.....it sure is nice to have the 4x4 to engage when the snow gets wet & heavy and you can push it way better...rather than "crabbing" sideways down a long road.

IMO...if its not going to be a primary snow pusher a nd used for mostly forward pushing or cleanup jobs then go for it. IF it is just a regular 2wd 1/2 pu.....I dont think I would do that,,,,several things to consider like clearance once the blade is on the front end is going to almost bottom out on most trucks.

Your better off spending your money on a used 4x4 w/plow and playing the :::: safe :::: card. wesport