1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge overheat....

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by fourseasonspm, Dec 12, 2007.

1. fourseasonspm

fourseasonspm Junior Member
    from CT

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7 liter hemi and a super duty straightblade Boss plow-
    Anytime I'm traveling with plow on, between driveways etc., the temp starts creeping up. I've tried angling the plow, and I've tried riding with it low and it only seems to help a little. I also live in a hilly area, so the uneven ground causes the plow to hit a lot when its low and I find myself constantly adjusting the position which gets a bit annoying. I got my truck used and it doesn't have the plow prep package. What exactly is in the package thats different? Anyone have any ideas about how to solve this?
    Thanks
    Ben
    Four Seasons Property Maint.

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

You're going to have to keep playing with it.

If you've got a strong wind coming from your passenger side, angle the blade to the left.

If you've got a strong wind coming from your driver's side, angle the blade to the right.

This will create a 'vacuum' and suck the air into your grill area.

You might have to run the plow all the way up to do this, you might have to run it as low as possible to do this, or you might have to run it somewhere in between.

Also, take your truck up to the carwash and wash the front of the radiator / grill area as good as possible. We've had trucks that get stuff caked in there, especially if you live in a "buggy" area where there's alot of matter that gets splattered in there.

Other than that, with a straight blade, there's a good chance that you're going adjusting it pretty much all the time, unless you can find a sweet spot that works 80% of the time.

The plow prep is pretty much just a larger alternator and a skid plate over (under) the transfer case, if I remember right.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

4. fourseasonspm

fourseasonspm Junior Member
    from CT

thanks

Thanks for the input. I have back to back storms coming this week with 20 driveways to cover so I'll see how it goes with adjusting the plow angle and height. If that doesn't work, I'll definitely pick up a heavier duty clutch fan and give it a shot.
    Thanks
    Ben
    Four Seasons Property Maint.

5. GravelMan

GravelMan Junior Member

I had EXACTLY the saem problem. Thot it was just the wind turbulence from the strait blade, but since there are alot of Hemis running without problems, I decided to stop at a rad shop for some advice.

He thot it must be a bad thermostat until he looked at it.
    -If the upper rad hose is fairly tight when overheated, then the the thermostat is ok.
    - He spun the fan and said that was definately my problem.

When the engine is overheated, he said the fan should not spin freely. There should be resistance. (Lockup)
    He thot when the plow was NOT hooked up, there was enough airflow through the rad to keep the fan turning and the engine cool. When the plow is hooked up, the change in airflow through the front grill doesnt send forced air through the rad, and when the clutch is bad, the fan wont pull air through either, so the engine heats up. On mine, when I stopped driving, the engine would cool down. That is because the fan had just enough clutch left to pull air through when there was no wierd wind resistance.

I am putting a new fan in Monday, so I will find out if this corrects the problem, and will post the results.