1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge lights stink

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Eronningen, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Do Dodge pickups have the worst headlights on the market? I have a 2011 3500 and a 2008 2500, both diesels and the lights suck, high and low beams. I have and have had many other trucks and cars. In the garages/shops right now I own 9 vehicles and the dodge trucks are by far the worst.
    Don't get me wrong though, I love the dodge diesel truck as a whole, best ruck on the market now imo, its just that the lights suck
  2. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I adjusted them up and they're ten times better.
  3. My07Brute

My07Brute Senior Member

Look into putting 9005 lights into the fogs, 10x better at night and I don't get flashed (neither does my friend in his 11' 2500 Mega.

The only other thing would be a projector retro fit with HID's.

**I absolutely despise any one that puts HID's in Std. halogen headlight housings with no cut off optics**

You want HID's, do it the right way with Cut off optics so your not blinding all of us please.
  4. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

My lights are great onmy 08 had the dealer adjust em down when I was towing 5th wheel in the summer. Now no one gets annoyed.
  5. Ram 08

Ram 08 Member

I dont have any complaints about mine on my 08 2500. However I will admit that I always run my fog lights and they help alot. Without them, I agree, the lights are nothing to brag about high or low.
  6. captshawn

captshawn Senior Member

I would have to agree. Without the fogs on the really suck. Not a big change from low to high beam.
  7. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

I think the lights on my 2012 are much better than my 04. with this new truck you almost cant run the headlights without the fogs.
  8. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I've got a 2010 2500 HD and the headlights absolutely SUCK! Worst truck to see out of I have ever owned. I have asked around and didn't really find any solutions. If you do post up.
  9. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

On the 2010+ you can have the truck flashed to keep the fogs on with your high beems. On the earlier models you can just use a jumper wire to the fog lamp relay. Helps a ton (used the jumper on my 04).

And yes the lights leave a lot to be desired. My favorite truck headlights are the 04-08 F150s, they are awesome.
  10. My07Brute

My07Brute Senior Member

As i far as I know, Only the 06+ third gen can be "exported" so the fogs stay on.

My friend (tech as Dodge dealer with a 11' Mega) the menu is no longer there to Export them so the fogs stay on (at least what he says).

I can't stress this enough, do the 9005 bulb upgrade.
  11. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

Who makes the 9005 bulb and is that type of bulb or a model number?
  12. My07Brute

My07Brute Senior Member

9005 is the bulb # (currently the stock bulb is a 9006)

9006 is a std. low beam for a headlight, 9005 is the high beam.

You will need to grind down the ridge on the inside of the plug (where the connector goes), and trim one of the tabs on the edge that "clocks" the bulb in the housing.

13. thebluemule

thebluemule Junior Member
    from erie pa

I agree the lights stink. In fact the doors are even worse. My doors dont close for crap. New door pins and it isn't any better. The door actually ripped around the latch and every third time i close the door, it wont latch and you have to pry it back out. The last dodge we'll ever buy. Just not impressed with the quality at all.
  14. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

So I need to go down to the car parts store and ask for 9005 bulb upgrade for my truck and they will know what I'm talking about?
    The lights suck so bad, even a little ford focus the wife drives for milaeage has lights that are TWICE as good as my big, brand new Dodge. WTF! Every single Chevy pickup has great lights, we have a new Tahoe with awesome lights, all my Ford 1 tons have great lights. I don't get it.
  15. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

And you're actually just putting these 9005's in where the fog lamp bulbs are? Not messing with the headlights?
  16. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Not sure how old or what you have but I love my Dodge trucks. Its just the lights stink. Best truck all around that I found after driving all new brands by far. Diesels anyway
  17. My07Brute

My07Brute Senior Member

No disrespect ment in any way, but if you not to handy and not to comfortable with changing headlights this mod might not be for you.

Most autoparts stores have a rack of Headlight bulbs, they are an off the shelf bulb that you will have to modify like shown in the link above.

I have had good luck with Sylvania Xtra vision with this mod (but a std. 9005 will work just as well).
  18. plowguy43

I'll try and check today with one of my techs to see if its still there. I know it used to be, it could've changed since for 2011+ all of Chrysler Computers are encrypted....(not that it has anything to do with lights, its just they are making it more of a pain to change ANYTHING)

9005 is the part #, just a different bulb.

So a door not closing correctly even though the rest of the truck may be bulletproof is reason enough not to get another one? Sorry to tell you this but Superduty's are known to have their weatherstripping collapse and the doors begin to rattle and not seal correctly. GM's are the same way. Your problem sounds more like alignment of the hinge or striker, not the hinge pin. Bring it to a body shop, they'll have a clue on how to fix it.

Go to the rack, buy the bulb that says 9005, do a little triming and it'll pop right in.

Sorry but the 07.5+ Silverado's lights are not that great either. The tahoe's are different but the stacked lights on the trucks aren't bright at all. Fords are very nice.
  19. plowguy43

Yup no longer an option on the 2009+'s, that sucks. Guys are wiring up a relay from the high beam to the fog directly to put them on. Seems to work well.
  20. thebluemule

thebluemule Junior Member
    from erie pa

i wasn't trying to start any type of arguments but i just am not impressed with the quality of the truck at all. It just feels cheap to me. The doors dont close right, the dash is GONE, the lights suck...just little things that are annoying. Engine is great but dodge doesn't make the cummins. truck is a 1999 that just turned 100,000 on a new tranny

Never had any of our fords with that weather stripping issue. And i litteraly mean i cant even count how many we've had. 7 powerstrokes as of right now though. 1995-2001. again, not starting a debate