1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge is out to get YA!

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by nsmilligan, Dec 29, 2002.

1. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Had my 4 wheel drive actuator go in my 98 Dodge 2500, resulting in the burring of the axles, and no front drive because the collar that engages the axles won't slide. Took it to dealer who diagnosed the problem as water in the actuator and gave me a parts list that went like this: ( all prices in CDN $'s) motor kit 221.40, shift fork 92.88,
    collar 91.48, rt axle 1026.00!, inner axle shaft 282.96!, axle nut 30.40 ! and it needed an upper ball joint 220.00! plus 5-6 hours labor. Anyways I went to a NAPA truck parts place called Traction, and priced the parts, they went like this, motor kit, fork, and collar only available from dealer, rt axle 398.86, inner axle 79.39!!!, upper ball joint 47.89 ( lifetime warranty), axle nut 7.25!!
    Now what really bugs me with the exception of the ball joint all parts were OEM Dana/Spicer, the exact same ones Chrysler wanted 3-4 times as much for.
    Needless to say I only purchased the parts I had to from the dealer, did the repair myself, a fair chunk of change stayed in my pocket. and oh ya the original cause of the problem wasn't water it was a broken shaft in the vacuum motor.
    Moral of the story shop around for parts prices, your dealer might be honest but I not to sure about Chrysler!

Bill

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Aren't the dealers great ! Wait till you have to replace a wheel bearing :realmad:

3. The_Burning_Rom

The_Burning_Rom Member

I hate dealerships..that's why I go there as little as possible! [:D]About the only thing I need a dealership to do for me is run a 4-wheel alignment.

4. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I never take my truck to the dealership for service, it's just too expensive. I might pick up a part from them but that's it. I have a really good mechanic that does 99% of the work on my truck.

5. nsmilligan

Did a front hub last summer, and because of the antilock brake sensor only availible from the dealer, ouch

Bill

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Prices have come way down

Just out of curiosity I priced out a front bearing an hub,and it was only $238.00 CDN,or 272.00 for the bearing,hub,rotor,and new wheelstuds.Not to bad now,they were $600.00 before.97 Dodge 2500 4x4

7. nsmilligan

Mine was about $600, does your 97 have antilock brakes? I was told my a automotive parts guy that all the manufacturers keep their prices high until they become availible in the aftermarket and then will usually meet or beat the aftermarket price

Bill

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Yeah,they tend to do that,as they are available aftermarket now.

The unit I priced was not for ABS,but they usually aren't much more.If your sensor ring is in good shape you can press them off and put it on the non abs unit.

9. nsmilligan

The sensor ring is internal in the Dodge, so they gottca.

Bill