1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge Hemi questions

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by KTM, Feb 10, 2008.

1. KTM

KTM Junior Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found a 04 1500 4x4 Regular Cab Dodge Hemi for a great price, only has 30,000k What do you guys get MPG? is there any problems with these trucks? How is the power? I'm used to driving chevys with the 5.3, Do you think these are pretty close as far as power and MPG? Would this be a good truck for light commercial plowing? And are the tranny's better than the older Dodge's? Thanks.

2. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

I wouldn't plow commercially with a 1500. If you are serious about plowing, I would just invest in a 2500.

3. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Get the 2500 you won't regret it.

4. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

spend the extra few K's and get a 3/4 ton. Their worth it. Dodge might actually warranty it then :)

5. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I think you would be fine with a 1/2 ton as long as you take it slow and easy. A good friend of mine has an 05' Quad short 4x4 HEMI and he gets about 12-13mpg around town and ~16 on the hwy.

Hey dakotasrock, is you sig implying a magnum will take a Cummins?

6. JCplowing

JCplowing Member

i have a 2004 ram 1500 quad cab, i plow it, started this year with the truck, i have a 71/2rd plow. it works awsome. i dont have any complains, but you might need the following:

-1-3inch torsion keys to lift and stiffen the front of the truck
    -rear air bags (i run 50psi)
    - weight against your tailgate i have 700lbs of sand in plastic tubs w/ tops, this will help the ride and take pressure off the front end!

I would reccomend this truck only because i own one myself and i do commerical work, but i think my next truck will be a 2500 because the newer ram 1500 06-08 dont reccomend putting plows on them. the 2005 and older do. also i get with no plow or sand 17.9 mpg on the highway and 10-13 around town, i have an exhaust and intake wich helps get better mpg,

GOODLUCK

7. JCplowing

JCplowing Member

i have a 2004 ram 1500 quad cab, i plow it, started this year with the truck, i have a 71/2rd plow. it works awsome. i dont have any complains, but you might need the following:

-1-3inch torsion keys to lift and stiffen the front of the truck
    -rear air bags (i run 50psi)
    - weight against your tailgate i have 700lbs of sand in plastic tubs w/ tops, this will help the ride and take pressure off the front end!

I would reccomend this truck only because i own one myself and i do commerical work, but i think my next truck will be a 2500 because the newer ram 1500 06-08 dont reccomend putting plows on them. the 2005 and older do. also i get with no plow or sand 17.9 mpg on the highway and 10-13 around town, i have an exhaust and intake wich helps get better mpg,

GOODLUCK

8. awddsm1

awddsm1 Senior Member

Just got me a 07 Mega cab 2500 4X4, first couple of tanks it's been around 11.5 mpg, mostly city type driving. Hope it picks up a little, 35 gallons @ $3 a gallon = OUCH!!!

9. hikeradk

hikeradk Senior Member

10.5 mpg plowing

I would suggest the 2500 HD because for warranty and front end etc. I get about 10.5 when I am plowing I have a Xtreme V. Placed the sand bags four 50lbs on each side behind the wheel wells with two sets of straps each secured to the bed to keep them in place. This way I can get my snow blower in and out of the truck with ease. Pair of folding ramps in the cab and I am ready to go.

If you are doing light work then you might get away with it, but you get what you pay for.

10. awddsm1

awddsm1 Senior Member

Just got back this weekend from a quick trip to Chicago and back... about 140 miles one way for me. 13.5 mpg on the way there with a nice tailwind, 11.9 on the way back with one heck of a nasty headwind.

11. NBI Lawn

I take it you have not calculated that by hand. You are probably getting ~4-5mpg while plowing. MPG is not an accurate way to measure fuel consumption while plowing. GPH is a more accurate way.

To see much over 100-120 miles to a tank while plowing is fairly good. A Hemi probably wouldnt get 10.5 just driving around town with the plow on.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  12. oliversgreen

oliversgreen Junior Member

The new Dodge HD models don't carry the Lifetime Warranty or thats what I was told from my dealer.

13. NBI Lawn

The new 2500HD dont carry the warranty but it is my understanding that the 1500HD does. For those who dont know the 1500HD is basically a 3/4ton mega cab. 8 lug axles, big frame, Hemi, they just lowered the GVRW to make it a "1/2 ton"

14. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

KTM, first let me state that I have been driving the "new" dodges since they came out. I started with an '00- 318 ram quad 4x4 1500, I did not plow with it, just tow and haul. then I got my '04- ram 2500 hemi quad 4x4. I am in my 5th season plowing. I plow light commercial(3/4-2acre lots) and some resi.

at 55 mph highway you will get 22mpg
    at 70 mph highway you will get 15mpg
    city driving you'll get 10-12 mpg

with the plow on (and salter with 1500lbs salt) you'll get 8-10 mpg
    plowing you'll drop 5-9 mpg.

put your foot to the floor you'll always have power.

The transmission is rock solid now, those problems were of the '98 and older models. trust me I have beat on mine at times.

you will go through power steering boxes, u-joints and brakes. it this 1500 hasn't had them changed out its the first thing I would do if I were you.

I personally would not plow with a 1500, there are enough strength upgrades that make waiting for a 2500 worth it. its like comparing a fisher HD with LD, the plow is just thicker and more reinforced all around.

15. plowboy21

plowboy21 Member

jst make sure to change ur plugs n wires at 72000 miles or ull get 4.9miles to the gallon at all time like me

only cause it cost $230 to do it ur self n bout 3.5 hrs for perfesional
    or 400 for a private mecanic
    dealer i have no clue
    so i found a kit im gatting from rpmoutlet.com

16. iflyhelis

iflyhelis Member

I have a 2005 Quad cab 1500 with the Hemi, I was looking through the owners manual for some maint. info & came across a statement that plowing is not recommended. It didn't say it would void the warranty, but mentioned that the plow mounting would affect proper air bag deployment.

Just got this truck out of a service visit at 29,000 miles for some warranty issues. One was, I thought ball joints were going, turns out the stopper for max turn lock to lock needed grease, which was making a popping sound. They did mention that the ball joints don't last long in this model truck. 1500-3500 series.

17. JCplowing

JCplowing Member

Ive heard that before, you can use a plow on the 02-05 rams the 06-new dont reccomend the use of plows! You cant beat a 1500 you just push snow and make your money!!

WE just had 9inches of fresh powder over the weekend, my truck plows so good, i have no complains after 5 storms!!
    and have made over $3,500, plow is almost paid off!!!!! and i havent had it more then 4 months!
    next year im getting a 2500 diesel, i need the power for towing my bobcat! but the 1500 will do for now!

18. FTGUprprtyMaint

FTGUprprtyMaint Member

i have a 03 2500 hemi and i get 9-11mpg at best and plowing i get 7mpg if your going to buy a hemi make sure its the new one because they fixed that problem for the most part

19. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

i hate to be a butthead butthead but there is no 1500HD from dodge, only 1500. Second, the 2500/3500 DO come with the Lifetime powertrain warranty as long as you do not get the cummins otherwise you get it.

20. NBI Lawn

They do have a 1500HD since 07', only comes in a Mega cab. I really dont think the Lifetime warranty comes on the 2500/3500 since Chrysler know these trucks are used for work. I may be wrong, just what the dealer told me but they have been wrong before.

EDIT; I was wrong, right off of Dodges web site:
    Q7: Are any Chrysler vehicles excluded?
    A7: Vehicles that are not covered under the new Lifetime Powertrain Warranty include SRT models, Diesel vehicles, Sprinter models, Ram Chassis Cab and certain fleet vehicles.

Here is a HD:
    http://www.rosedaledodge.com/j/i/13....com/j/i/24608/New-Vehicle-Inventory-Alt.html

5200# front axle

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008