1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge Gurus need your input!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Craftybigdog, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Hey guys I have a 2001 dodge ram 2500 with a diesel and I dont have the plow prep package and I want to put a boss 8 ft plow on it do I need the heavy duty springs and if so where do I get them thanks for your help!

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

You don't have to upgrade the springs,but it will help.

I'd put a set of Timbren's on it first,and see how it does.It should be OK.

If you want to beef it up some more,then there are heavier springs avalable.Check the little tags on your front springs to see what you have.You probably have 038/039 springs.You can go up to the heavier 046/047 or even 047/048 springs if you feel you need them.

3. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I thought you said you didn't want to put a plow on that pretty rig of yours? LOL. Since you use your vehicle for personal and business, I would look into the front end issue also before I bought. But don't wait too long, the season will be coming up soon and the prices will go up too. I have that 8' meyers commercial plow on my K2500 and she does fine. BUT you know its only a work truck. Good luck and let me know if you get the plow. I might be able to sub some work to you.

4. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Your truck will handle the plow fine with out extra springs but they always help. Also you should get some timbrens:)

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Is there an echo in here ?? :realmad:

meyer22288 - I've noticed lately that most of your posts seem to mirror or repeat what other knowledgeable members have posted previously.What if I was wrong in my original recommendation,and you second that recommendation with another duplicate reply ? The person who posted the original question may take that answer and believe it,as now two members have agreed upon a recommendation.

I am not against you posting,just make sure your post has some relevance or you have some background\experience on the subject,not just repeating what you have heard.

OK,getting off my soapbox now.

Craftybigdog - sorry to have gotten off topic here.

6. Craftybigdog

Hey guys thanks for all the help, well yeah I have brake down and Im gonna put a 8' boss on it Im waiting for the dealer to let me know when the prices are gonna drop. Where can I get a set of timbrens I looked on the net but whats the best place? Also Brimrow you might be getting Todds next year and you can have it Im gonna bid it at 200.00 next year. It takes me 4-5 hrs to do that place with my Dixie 72in its silly and can you believe he only wanted to pay 75.00, rich people I tell ya!!!!!!!!!!:realmad:

7. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I just gave my torsion bars a couple of turns to level it out and my truck was fine. I may give todd a price but I know he won't go for it. $75 is WAY too cheap. Esp. for as picky as he is and the size of his yard. Are you looking for more work? Mayfair aprt. and Rodney village aprt. are looking for a snow plow contractor. They called me but Rodney Village has too many sidewalks for my equipment. That may be up your alley with the grizzly. Mayfair has next to none, but I'm waiting on the Air BAse hospital for an answer so I don't want to over crowd my self. They want ice control also so if you bid and get it you can sub the lots to me. Just a thought. I am trying to get another 4x4 pickup. As a matter of fact it's Chuck's truck I'm interested in, but I can't see to get with him about some pics and whatnot.

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

There is a sponsoring member here on Plowsite who sells the Timbrens.Capt Devo I believe.

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Craftybigdog, I would just try the plow first,I dont think you'll need any stiffer springs. My 2000 is the same as your 02,in that it doesnt have the plow prep .With my 980 lb Boss 9'2" V it dropped about 1.5" in the front,not to bad,and it would bottom lightly on the stops on dips in the road.I put the 039 from the drivers side in the pass side,and a new 046 in the drivers side.This is the plow prep setup for the automatic trucks,and it worked perfect,the truck only drops about an inch now,and it hardly ever bottoms,you have to push it real hard to get it to bottom.
    Meyer,im a little troubled by you giving advice when you are not giving it from real world experiences.What if the info you read on this site was false or exgerrated,they you go echoing it to other people as if it was your experience.IMO you are not building credibiltiy by posting in this manner,and you arent helping the oringinal poster of the question.

10. Craftybigdog

Hey Brian call me and we will chat 632-6290. Take care.

11. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Being that you have a diesel you may have a partial plow prep pkg. Check the transfer case number to see if you have the heaviest case used for plowing. The pkg. also includes an idiot light on the dash for high temps. in the tranny. Here is a quote from Frit'z Ram pages:

The NV241HD, an option on Ram 2500's and standard on Ram 3500's built after 1998, has a stronger case and wider drive chain to better withstand the shock of snow plow service, a PTO cover and drive gear, and an extra bearing to support the thrust to the main shaft created by a PTO adapter.

Except for dimensional differences and the PTO port on the NV241HD, all of the cases are almost identical in appearance. An identification tag is attached to the rear case of every transfer case. The tag provides the transfer case model number, assembly number, serial number, and low range ratio. The transfer case serial number also provides the date of build. For example, a serial number of 9-10-93 would represent September 10, 1993.

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

If you don't have the snow plow prep,you get the regular transfer case,not the 241HD.It will have the 241D,which comes standard on the diesel and V10 engines,and is slightly stronger the the regular 241 as it has a bigger input shaft and bigger bearings.

13. Craftybigdog

Yeah guys I have the NV241HD with the pto output plate so thats good right! Also the trans temp light, or idiot light but where other than DEVO can I get the timbrens?

14. wyldman

wyldman Member

Have you tried any of the local auto parts\heavy truck\plow places ? I'm sure someone carries them.Sometimes trailer places will sell them as well.

You could also try Timbren direct at sales@timbren.com

15. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

dad's truck..99" 2500 diesel ram, no plow prep. we ran a 7.5' western pro plow on it and then switched it to a 8'.6" western v plow. the truck did just fine. i use a 01 2500 diesel ram with the 046/047 springs and a 8'.6" v plow and it drops 1".
    hi everyone...ready for another season?
    dan

16. KenP

KenP Senior Member

My 02 has 039/038 springs, I went to a very reliable spring shop in my area to make the improvement and was told, they didn't make them. So do they or don't they ? I've got a Western 8'6 MVP on it and wanted a little more stiffness in the front. Also will putting stronger springs (if they have them) take some of the load off the rest of the components in the front end, if so what would the percentage be? Thanks for your info fellas.

17. John DiMartino

Ken,you can get the 046 from your dealer.Do like I did,put the 046 in the drivers side,mand slip the 039 to the pass side,try that,if its to soft still get the 047 and put it in drivers side,and put o46 in pass side. I bought the 046/047 and decided to try the 046/039 setup,that was 2 yrs ago,I still have the new 047 sitting in my garage,and if i had it to do over i would have just bought the 046 and tried it first.the 046 brought the front end up about an inch both empty and with plow on.

18. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Does the front use different rate springs for driver and passenger sides?

19. John DiMartino

Yes,.drivers side is one step stiffer,probably because the driver,and fuel tank are there