1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge gas mileage question

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by NoFearDeere, Dec 20, 2005.

1. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 QuadCab 5.9L 360. I get terrible gas mileage. It is usually around 10mpg in town, 12-13 highway, 7-8 towing, and 4-5 plowing. Does anyone know of any aftermarket products I could put on the truck to get some better mileage? Truck has alot of power but the gas mileage is ridiculous. I would like to keep the truck another year since it only has 43,000 miles on it but if I cant find a way to get better mileage, than its off I go diesel shopping! Thank you all in advance!:help:
  2. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

Winter's cold temps kills gas milage on my 05 ram 1500. spring summer and fall I get around 16-18 mpg, but once the therostat drops to around 30 or below it gets around 12mpg. I added a flow master cat back exhaust and bumped up its milage to 20 mpg in the summer. Im sure there are other recomendations, I did what I did cause I like to make my hemi growl :D
  3. 00 Ram

00 Ram Senior Member

If you go to www.dodgetrucks.org, you can read many threads on the subject. Some suggestions people give are lower temp thermostat, cold air intake, microchip reprogramming, exhaust mods, (as previously mentioned). Whether or not any of them actually DO anything....I'm skeptical. Most of these things are so expensive, they'd never pay for themselves in gas savings, which is probably why Dodge didn't build the trucks with them in the first place. The main problem is that these trucks are heavy, and they're shaped like a brick. there really isn't a whole lot you can do about it. "slow down" is probably the most effective thing.

Its one reason I held out for the 5.2 vs the 5.9. oh, they're both pigs. but the 5.2 is a little less so. I get around 14mpg, most of the time. (been a while since I've checked). 10 to 11 towing my 5000lb trailer. haven't plowed with it.
  4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Pull off the breather hose on the driver's side valve cover while the engine is at idle, if there is a vacuum there the plenum gasket is blown and will among other problems cause bad gas mileage.
  5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Actually I believe that's about normal for that engine.
  6. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have magnaflow dual exhaust on the truck.....oh, yeah it screams....and that got me 1 more m.p.g. but i'm still at the gas station every other day. :cry: