1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge Front Springs

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by JoelPry, Aug 2, 2001.

1. JoelPry

JoelPry Junior Member

Hello all, I have a 2001 Ram 2500/Cummins Sport. The plow package isnt available with the sport. I know that the only thing the diesel's dont come with for prep, is the plow pack. springs 046 and 047. I have the 038 and 039 springs. I plan on putting a Boss poly 8' straight blade (780lbs) on it. Does anybody plow with the stock springs? and do you run into any problems with sagging. I could buy the 046 and 047 if I have too, or get custom springs. Thanks, Joel

2. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

i installed a 7'6" pro plow on my dads 99 cummins last season.
    he does not have a snow plow package on this truck, it plows and handles the plow just fine.
    be shur to get some ballast in the rear of the truck to help the front end out.
    rather than new sprins look into the possibility of a 2" leveling kit for the front end. there are a few companies out ther that make a spacer that goes between the coil and the bucket. one that comes to mind is Daystar, they make a polyurethane spacer for those trucks.
    dan

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i put timbren loadbusters on the front of my 1500 silverado to get rid of the sagging. quick install and eliminates the dip in the front end with the plow on. you can get them at
    www.awdirect.com

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

My 96 Dodge excab LWB diesel, didnt even drop an inch with a 715 lb Fisher Minute mount on it,I doubt it wil droop much,and if it does,just gte the HD springs,or the leveling kit.

5. TRITONSNOWREM

TRITONSNOWREM Member

Last season I ran a Dodge 1500 series with a Boss 9.2 V-Plow.The front springs on a 1500 are the same as the springs on a 2500 series. I sugest that You use Timbrin load stablizers. They work great!!!!. I had absolutely no problems with control and clearance. The Boss 9.2 weighs 1190 lbs. with harness.

Triton Snow Removal
    Woodstock, Illinois

6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I am sure that 1500 front axel likes that plow. You should be ashamed that you are endangering both yourself and other s with a plow that heavy.
    Your dealer should also be ashamed, should an accident arise from this groos overweight condition, everything you own and the dist that sold you that plow is at risk. A 7.6' power v is the most that should be on that plow. In fact the fisher plow that is recomended for the 1500 is a light duty unit.
    Please reconsider your truck options when running heavyweight plows such as that.
    Dino

7. TRITONSNOWREM

TRITONSNOWREM Member

On the contrary Dino- This truck is not over loaded. Driving skills and awareness of the weight and size of your truck are always a concern. For the record Boss makes a 8.2 V-Plow for a 1/2 ton pick up that only weighs 170 lbs. less than a 9.2 V-Plow.
    About as much as an average passenger.

Gross is spelled Gross Thats 2S's

8. John DiMartino

Dodge 1500 front axle weight rating-3850 lbs Dana 44..regular cab specs as 2900-3050 empty weight,put 1170 lbs 4 ft in front of the tires,and a driver,you are seriously overloaded,I dont care what springs you have,the axle is what matters.The 2500/3500 have 5200 Lb Dana 60.Its ypur truck,but you have a responsiblltiy to stay within the weight limits of the truck while on public roads.

9. plowking35

from SE CT

I would rather have a spelling typo, than a truck that is unsafe.
    While boss may make a plow for 1/2 p/u, that doesnt mean your truck is rated to carry that plow. I would again believe that 7.5 is the most that truck is designed for.
    I agree with John D, its your truck, but just stay away from me when you are careening down the road.
    Dino

Last edited: Aug 17, 2001
  10. TRITONSNOWREM

TRITONSNOWREM Member

Experienced drivers dont't careen !

11. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

The springs are not the same. No way, no model, no how. And thats the fact Jack to quote grAssMaster.

There is no f-in way you had a 1200 lb plow on a 1500 with no problems-no f-in way my secondary-school friend.

12. TRITONSNOWREM

TRITONSNOWREM Member

Well I guess you would know what kind of plow ihad on my Dodge living up in BFCONN.

13. plowking35

from SE CT

Ok bud you win we are all wrong and I will sell all my one tons and buy 1/2 tons, with 9' plows and 2 yrd v boxes. Thanks I will save alot of money that way.
    Dino

14. thelawnguy

I didnt say you didnt have the plow on it, I said you are full of ca ca telling us you plowed with it and didnt have any problems.

15. HYDROCLEAN

HYDROCLEAN Junior Member

DODGE 1500 FRONT COIL SPRINGS

I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500. The front coil springs are factory tag numbers 018 and 019. Has anyone ever replaced them with the 023 and 024 springs? And are these springs taller than the 018 and 019.

tag no. load rating (lbs)

018 1048
    019 1140

023 1621
    024 1770

16. Alex Scarselli

Alex Scarselli Junior Member

38-39 Springs

In reference to the 038 and 39 springs,I went through this with my 3500 Dodge dually Ram Diesel 2001. There is a BIG difference from "38" or "39" spring cap. to a ''47'' is about 350Lbs+- . Its less from a 46 to a 47 = 150# in that area. I had the same question and through research, Chrysler said that according to my vin #, it wasn't plow set up., dealer said it is. Reading all the other comments, there somewhat right. Look at the axel rating. Yes it will sag some.I kept measurements before and after and still check it out. Street to bottom fender lip 47.5inches. I run a blizzard plow 8 ft. weighing 800 + lbs.beam and all. Suppose to have transmission overheating light, which I notice in the dash imprint. Dealer would of installed springs #"46" but I was skeptical of them taking my front end apart. I have no problems when driving but at times I do feel it bottoms out at the rubber stops. Last year I had no knowledge of balist and I tow a trailer 5X8 with 2 snow machines and it was unbelievable how well it maneuvered. If you can put the 46 springs in, your ride will change being much stiffer. Hope info. helps

Al

17. johngus

johngus Senior Member

i am running 024 and 025aa offroadster springs with my 1500.With plow on only sagged about 1/2 inch. With old 020 and 021 springs truck dropped 2 inches.The new springs made a world of difference in my truck.I would rec. it to anyone with a 1500,polw or no plow!!!!!!

18. John DiMartino

Alex,and Joel.My 2000 Ram didnt have the plow prep pkg,i had the 039/038 front springs.I have a Boss 9'2" plow,as you know this is a seriously heavy plow,about 980lbs with the deflector,and U edge.My truck sagged about 1 1/2 " with the Boss on,it bottomed lightly on rolling bumps.So i ordered the 046/047 springs.in talking with DaveO from MA,i found that he had 046/039 in his front end with the plow prep,so i tired the 046 in the drivers side,and put the 039 from the drivers side in the pass side,this is perfect for me,it rasied the truck 3/4" empty,and now it doesnt even drop a full inch with that heavy plow on and up.look on my equipment pictures in my signature, there are pictures of my dodge with the blade raised,i have no ballast in the truck,you can see it barely sags at all.Alex, If iwere you,id buy just the 046,do what i did,i will cost under 100 bucks,it takes about 20 minutes on each side to change them,simply remove the tires,remove the lower shock bolt,and the upper sway bar end link,30 seconds with air tools,and raise the front end by the plow frame,you can compress the shock by hand,and slide the spring right out.It was very easy to do.if my plow only weighed 800 lbs, iwouldnt have bothered adding the stiffer spring.

19. thelawnguy

2500 with gas 5.9 and plow prep, 037/038. With 8' Fisher will not bottom out.

20. John DiMartino

My 96 2500 diesel,excab longbed never bottomed with 039/038 and a 7 1/2 fisher.My 2000 would bottom with the Boss,it had about 1 1/2 " between the stop and the axle,and no ballast,with 039/038, now with 046/039 it has 2 1/2-3" of travel between the bumpstop,and axle with the blade on and up.My friend has a 97 Dodge 2500 8 ft Fisher,ot never bottoms either,037/038.