1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dodge front ends

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by zutecht, Dec 26, 2009.

1. zutecht

zutecht Junior Member

Here in minnesota we got dumped on over christmas.... i am plowing with a ram 1500 with a boss superduty... heavy sh*t.
    Any ways it was the ultimate test plowing up too 14 inches of heavy slop commercialy!! everything survived but on the last push i s snapped my driver u joint on the axle shaft and snapped the spindle thAT comes out of the wheel bearing.
    Are the spindles hard to get and are they expensive?
    Nothing is open today!!

2. stonewellmark

stonewellmark Member

Was it the spindle or the outer axle stub??? when mine broke the outer axle stub actually is what broke and wiped the u-joint and the inner axle shaft. If its the spindle.....go to a junk yard.......if its the axle shafts----go to randys ring and pinion ( www.ringpinion.com ) u-joint and if needed wheel bearing go to parts store. Sorry about the breakdown, hope you get it fixed soon. Good Luck

3. zutecht

zutecht Junior Member

Its the spindle that comes out of the wheel bearing assembly. i belive the correct name for this part is 1/4 shaft.
    Is there any way to beef the front end up with out have too rebuild the pumkins?

4. stonewellmark

stonewellmark Member

check randys ring and pinon.... or you can go to www.quad4x4.com both site are very informative and both have helpfull tech. if its the "1/4" shaft or axle stub shaft or outer axle shaft as I know it then either place can help you out.

5. zutecht

zutecht Junior Member

Ok and Thanks for your help. Im just goin to end up getting stiffed from the dodge garage there the only place that has the part on hand....
    But thank you again for your help

6. krug

krug Junior Member

Go get yourself a 2500 zutecht!

7. zutecht

zutecht Junior Member

Haha....i have always worked with with what i had! kinda went all out on summer equiptment whoops. there will be a new rig in the drive way come spring and a dana 60 front and year end in the half ton of fun wesport

8. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

if you can find the same year, model, options in a 3/4 ton it might only cost you $1-2K to trade up, just something to consider.

9. zutecht

zutecht Junior Member

kah68 i am confused on what you were trying to say about me trading in mine for a 3/4 ton?

10. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

Trade up, or better yet, find some 3/4 or 1 ton axles and swap!
    I did just that in my old ramcharger, ended up with the 3/4 ton axles.

11. zutecht

zutecht Junior Member

Its deffintley crossed my mine. I am going to focus on adding a real truck to my crew and then i will spend money on my axles and differentials.