1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge Durango - what plow is best?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Scottzkee, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Scottzkee

Scottzkee Junior Member

Hi! I recently got contracts for 5 lots - just plowing driveways for next year. I want to get everything now. I will be buying this off of craigslist. The vehicle will cost cost me about 4,000. I found this to be a fair price and it's only at 120,000 miles. I had a mechanic take a look at it seemed sound. Now, it does NOT have a plow on it. The person never had one on it. It's a 4WD and should be able to get a plow on it. Would you recommend me getting this? What kind of plow should I be getting - should I buy it new or used? What type of brand should I get?

Thanks a lot!

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

What kind of parking lots and what size are we talking about?

3. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

personally i wouldnt plow with a durango. the size and lack of rear visibility can be a large down fall and can make it quite inefficient. I'd look for a used 1/2 ton truck and put a plow on it. if you arent planning on going commercial.

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

You could go with a SnowDogg MD, a Snoway, or any other manufacturer's "light duty" or "sport duty" plows. Five driveways isn't going to kill your vehicle or light duty plow as long as you do it at a reasonable pace and not try to set a land-speed record.

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Lots = commercial parking lots. Driveways = residential driveways... Which is it?

6. Scottzkee

Scottzkee Junior Member

It's drivways, sorry. I didn't think there was a difference. There not large driveways, but I am from Minnesota and we hopefully will get a lot of snow next year.

Would an ATV be a more sound investment - it's cheaper and I found a 2005 that comes with a plow and such. Or theres always a dune buggy, like this : http://i.imgur.com/8ckRv.jpg

I have a mechanic friend who can take a look over the machines - but I am really new to this industry. I know It's not many driveways yet, but I am in high school. It's more of a side buissness along with my part time job.

Dodge Durango, ATV, or a Dune buggy?

Whats the smartest option? I suppse there are skid steers, but they seem much more expensive. Ideally, I would spend like then 5k on the vehicle and we can add more for the plow as needed.

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Go with the Durango and a Sno-Way plow. A plow like the Fisher Homesteader would work too.

A dune buggy? Really?

8. Scottzkee

Scottzkee Junior Member

The dune buggy option is something a friend of mine did. haha.

No votes on the durango - so a pickup would be the way to go?

What about the ATVs, whats the averahe pros and cons?

9. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Out of the options that you've listed I'd personally use the Durango over a 4-wheeler or dune buggy or whatever. The Durango leaves you some room to grow, and you can legally drive it on the road between driveways, you can't do it with a 4-wheeler, and you can be comfortable while you're plowing. To me, this one is a no-brainer. Granted, the Durango isn't an "ideal" plow vehicle, but it's not a bad starting out option either.

10. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

For starting out the Durango is fine. The tranny will be a little weak, but ok for light plowing, up to 20/30 drives. I used a Durango for 4 years as a driveway rig with a Sno way plow. Just remember it is not a half ton, don't try to use as such.

This will give you a good general purpose auto, reasonable to insure and will allow you to make some money as you grow.

11. DodgeGuy18

DodgeGuy18 Junior Member

Is there any particular reason why you would choose a Durango over a truck of some sort? How about an extended-cab or quad-cab truck? Perhaps even a Dakota?

12. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

My mechanic plows with a durango. hes got a 7.5' western mid weight poly on it. ive seen him go up some nasty driveways with it and it does great. the 5.9 V8 should have plenty of power. it would defiantly be a comfortable plow truck. he puts mud tires on it for winter time and timbrens to help support the plow.

13. H&HPropertyMait

If you want to look halfway legit dont use a durango. just get a truck, any truck.

14. nick4634

nick4634 Member

??? If someone in a clean newer 4x4 suv with a decent looking plow came to my driveway they would look more profesional to me then someone in a rusty old half ton with a rusty old plow offering to do any drive for 15 bucks

15. H&HPropertyMait

Anyone in a suv is a joke to 99% of professionals. Right tool for the job my friend, need to get groceries and pick up your kids get an suv. Need to plow snow and work get a truck.

16. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I started out with an 03 Dakota and plowed a parking lot the size of a football field with it (post storm as it was a foreclosed/bank owned property). What year is the truck? I ask because if you have the 4.7 V8 then the tranny will hold up fine as its the same 545RFE tranny used in the 2500/3500 trucks (and 1500's). I used this setup for about 3 years and it never cried once.

I used a Fisher 7'6" RD Plow as well. If they had the option, I would've gone with a 7'6" V plow which is what I'd recommend if you can find one.

Why? He can haul everything in the back and keep it dry. It already has more weight over the rear tires than a truck. The Dakota/Durango's have an AWESOME turning radius, and they basically have the chassis and driveline of a 1500 series truck. Sounds like a beast to me.

Attached Files:

17. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Always one in every crowd, doesnt matter what kind of work you do but it matters what you look like.
    Your probably the same guy that drives down the road with the truck lit up like a *******christmas tree with strobes and leds.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
  18. H&HPropertyMait

Hahah not a chance I make fun of those guys too!

And Half this business these days is looks. I look good an my work speaks for itself also. Not many 20 year olds in my position. Keep on making me laugh.

19. jimv

jimv Senior Member

i plow with 98 dakota with 7' fisher mm1 works great

20. H&HPropertyMait

That's perfect for drives, small and maneuverable.