1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dodge diesel

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by rickbays, Sep 21, 2010.

1. rickbays

rickbays Member

I was driven my 99 diesel pulling a trailer and someone blow a red light and took out the truck and trailer. Looks like its going to be totaled. I love the truck. Ive got a boss 8.2 v on it. Im on my 3rd auto tranny.

Do the new diesels have better luck on the trannys?

Thanks

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Yes they 48RE is much more stout tranny than the 47. You are going to hear opinions that Dodge has terrible trannies from a number of people who have never used a newer one. Don't listen to them. A simple valve body upgrade ($400) is something I would recommend. It will increase your line pressures and allow cooling in neutral as well as park. You should have a very strong transmission after that simple upgrade. Now if you want to add 300 hp, it's going to cost you about $4500 to build a trans that will stand up to about 650 rwhp.

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Also, in order to get the 48 RE you have to have something 2003.5 or newer. Or, you could go 2007.5 or newer and get the 68RFE which is also very strong.

4. big schmitty

big schmitty Member

My suggestion is to buy a new truck, take it to transmission shop and put a good tripple disk converter in it. The oem converters are junk. Have them put a tugger kit in the valve body and it will last a good while.

5. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I currently own an 06 cummins and love it. Dont really care for the looks of the truck but it has never given me an issue at all... never had to bring it back for warranty work. The only thing I could say bad is the trans does seem to get warm (according to the Edge). Maybe I should check out the valve body upgrade.
    I run 4" exhaust with a muffler delete, AFE intake, Edge Juice Attitude programmer which never goes higher than level 2, 285/70 17 Nitto Durra Grapplers... I regularly see 19-20+mpg on the highway and about 14-15 around town with a small trailer.
    I would recommed a mega cab if you can find one. Even if you dont need all the back seat space they are just bad ass wesport

Sorry I dont know a hell of a lot about the transmissions but I wouldnt worry about it. If you work anything they wear and break. Fords use head gaskets on the 6.0's, GM's go 2mph in reverse and Dodge's...well a dodge is Dodge. The trans issue is something that has been resolved IMO since the late 90's early 00's

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  6. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

keep the truck stock and change the fluid yearly and youll get alot of life out of a 48re. i would get a 06 or 07 48re as you can lock them out of od unilke the 05's. also there exuast brake compatible. i got 45k on my 48re with alot of towing, plowing and its been great. my only gripe is i wish the torque converter had a lower stall speed.

7. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Oh thank God. I hope your'e okay, but the 99 was the year to stay away from. Did you have the 53 series engine block? Came on pretty much ALL the '99s as well as a few 98.5s and some 2000s. This block was Dodge's second biggest embarrasment, as it was cast wrong and prone to cracking in the water jacket. This truck also had the early version VP-44 injection pump.:cry:

Find whomever hit that truck and give them a big hug! Get your check and do like JDiepstra and Sno Commander suggest.

Nice, as long as you and yours are ok from the accident.