1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge diesel and 8' Fisher plow.

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by DBuilders, Dec 7, 2009.

1. DBuilders

DBuilders Junior Member
    from Mass.

We just purchased a new Dodge 2500 diesel regular cab with an 8' bed. We have fisher plows on our 2 other trucks which are older Dodge diesels and want to put an 8' straight blade on this new truck. The
    Fisher site says the largest plow it can take is a 7.5'. Do any of you guys with newer Dodge diesels have 8' fishers installed and if so, any problems.

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

No Fisher plow but I imagine my 9'2" Boss V outweighs it and I haven't had problems. I would suggest some Timbrens or stiffer coils up front just for peace of mind, and, about 600 lbs ballast in the back of the bed.

Is this a 6.7 Cummins then? I'd be interested to hear how you like it and how the emissions equipment affects the truck.
  3. Jenkins12

Jenkins12 Junior Member

You should be ok. At my regular job we use a 8' blade on our 1/2 ton and it held up for 2 years so far.
  4. DBuilders

DBuilders Junior Member
    from Mass.

Thanks for the replys. JD-The fisher blade weighs in at 717# what does your boss weigh? I think the front coil springs which come standard on the the diesel are the heavy duty ones. As far as the 6.7 diesel, it seems great, but we only have 2500 miles on it so far. From what I've heard all these new diesels don't get as good fuel milage because of all the emissions equipment. So far around town 15mpg.

5. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

Poor fuel mileage is also due to higher power in the last 5 years, more power = more fuel, add EGR, DPF and the possbility of SCR and the benefits of diesel ownership is becoming questionable for many.

6. jay723

jay723 Member
    from SE CT

My myers commercial weights in at 800# with no problem on my cummins
  7. CaptainSmokey

CaptainSmokey Senior Member

i have a 06 2500 quad cab short bed with a 8ft bed on it . I did the 2inch leveling kit on the front and the only thing i noticed is shity fuel milage. other than that front doesnt sag at all and rolls down the road just fine. i have the 8ft strait blade boss on my truck
  8. DBuilders

DBuilders Junior Member
    from Mass.

We had the Fisher 8'HD plow installed and just picked it up. The front end sags about 3/4" when it is lifted. We have not put the ballast in yet ( we have concrete blocks poured from excess concrete from jobs that we make up about 700#). I have 2 other older Dodge diesel plow trucks and have never tried Timbrens, would they help?

9. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Look at my sig. The weight diff' between a 7.5 and an 8 is nothing.
  10. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

I run a wideout on my 02 2500 cummins with nothing to help on the front and it only drops one inch in the front with it raised the book says it weighs 985lbs and i have no problems with it
  11. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

It's over 900 lbs with the mount.
  12. jcmengel

jcmengel Junior Member

I have 08 ram with 6.7. Only problem was at 5000 miles it started running rough, the dpf was full and would not regen, it was a computer problem fixed in minutes at dealer but they did a full dpf and exhaust system cleaning because of the build up which took all day. Works fine since as long as you take it for a good ride at highway speeds once in a while.