1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge Death wobel? Help?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by bigfoot1, Jan 5, 2007.

1. bigfoot1

bigfoot1 Member

Dodge Death wobble? Help?

I have A 98 3500 4x4 diesel Within the last year I have replaced both wheel bearings, all 4 ball joints,Tie rod ends, Alignment, tires balanced, stabilizer shock, drop links and sway bar and i still get a wobble if i go over 60mph. I used all dodge parts except the ball joints. What can i do to beef this up. Is it because i have larger than stock tires? I just replaced the bar that goes from the power steering arm to the rest of the steering 5,000 miles ago and the dame thing pops when I turn. If any one has any advice I would be very great full! Thanks !! Oh Yeah WHY THE HELL IS IT 50 DEGREES ON JANUARY 4th on the ILL and Wis border?? NO MONEY!!!:mad: :confused: :realmad: ::cry:
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  2. greenscapes inc

greenscapes inc Member
    from utah

You might want to check the balance on your tires or have them rotated. My truck started doing that and I had a beefier steering stabilizer installed and if fixed the problem.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Bigfoot, you mentioned that you replaced everything but I don't see anywhere that you checked/replaced the track bar. Very common wear item on the Dodge's.It's the bar that goes from a bracket on the driver side frame rail over to the passenger side of the axle.Their's a ball joint type end on the side that attaches to the frame.That where it wear's out. It's job is to keep the axle located in center under the truck.
  4. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Yep its the track bar. Go over to DTR and sewarch for track bar issues. They have a link to a site that builds a strong one for lifted trucks and larger tires
  5. kysnowman

kysnowman Member

I'm no mechanic but what about the U-joints? I've got over 100K on mine and I've replace them several times. They were inexpensive to.
  6. BigDave12768

Nope Death Wobble is a track bar issue
  7. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

AHHHHHHHHH not the Death Wobble !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. bigfoot1

bigfoot1 Member

I forgot to mention that ******* Track bar I did it about 7 months ago and it already feels loose I had to go put about 4 turns on it because the nut was loose and the Little cotter pin doesn't do ****!! the steering feels a little tighter now that i did that. How long should one of those things last any way I mean there not that cheap you think they would at least make it a year. Do they make a double steering stabilizer set up for my truck? Has anyone tried one of those after market track bars with the replaceable ends?
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What brand of bar was it? Where did you buy it? The cheap parts store bar's dont last very long.
  10. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

yes they make a dual stabilizer for that truck go too an off road shop and they can help you. had the same problem on my truck and it wound up being passenger wheel bearing jack it up and start shaking everthing and make sure its tight if it is go with the stabilizer. hope this helps.
  11. emeraldgreen

emeraldgreen Member

I have to agree with Greenscapes, don't overlook your tires. I developed the same type of situation: severe wobble at about 55mph. My problem was a bent rim, somehow.
    Good luck. Bob
  12. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Is there a steering damper on these trucks?
  13. bigfoot1

bigfoot1 Member

The Track bar came right from the dodge dealership,and there is a steering stabilizer shock and it is new, and both wheel bearings are brand new at $400.00 a pop. Thanks for all the help. I don't think it is the rim because the problem continues even when all the tires are rotated.??
  14. BigDave12768

Never buy OEM parts when replacing front end parts. They gave you the junk parts in the first place when it came from the factory. Below are some options. And are come highly recomend on other site by people with huge tires and lifts. This is what you want to put on. Or go buy Moog. But sometimes they are not the best

Also join this site and ask some question over there. This is a great site for plows. But over all truck help the one below is better

15. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

I agree that the death wobble can often be caused or made worse by a bad track bar, but it not the only thing that can lead to having the dreaded death wobble.
  16. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Yes to everything above, just went through all that on my Dodge. For mine my wheel bearings were fine which is good their around 150 each side... I always use parts from Advance Auto Parts. Their TRW brand trac bar was around $175 and has a lifetime warranty. I used to work at AAP, and that warranty isn't just for factory defects, its also a wear warranty..... $175 once ain't bad, and it ain't hard to change. I don't know how long it'll last but knowing i never have to buy another eases my mind... i run 35x12.50x17 BFG M/T's on a 17x10 Mickey Thompson Classic II Alloys.... I had hellacious death wobble hitting bumps just right, it would shake the @@(#%U$ out of the truck, everything on the seats & dash were on the floor when done, the front end would hop and buck, had to lock up brakes instantly everytime... ended up replacing tie rod end on driver side, ball joints on passenger side, track bar, sway bar links, rotation and alignment... no more death wobble!!!! ahah!!!!!!! my passengers always feared riding wiht me lol the wobble scared the piss out of them the first and second time LOL.... I don't think your U-joints in the front axle would do it but i could be wrong... And yes beef up the steering stabilizer shock setup mines all stock but i know they can help reduce/eliminate the wobble...

Good luck with it.
  17. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I thought there was a kit to upgrade the older trac bar, 94-02, to the new style 03 and up that will last a lot longer.
  18. Plow Dude

Plow Dude Senior Member

I have a 97 RAM 2500 and had the same problem. One day driving down the Hway the front end shook so much I almost hit the concrete median wall. I didn't know what was going on. I replaced the stabilizer shock and that pretty much took care of the prob. It was scary though.
  19. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

death wobble

chek your steering box, they also wear out and are usually overlooked. I have had to replace the one on my 94

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

lukes link!!!! ??? !!!!

check out lukeslink.com this might solve all your issues.