1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge dashboard problem

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by NoFearDeere, Dec 8, 2005.

1. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 QuadCab. Has 42,000 miles. I baby the thing...washed twice a week, interior glows with armor-all, never went off road with it, etc. I put the plow on Oct.2004.:) Just in the past 2 months, the dashboard has numerous LARGE cracks that have now spread to almost the whole top of the dash without any clue as to why? I took it to the dealer. His exact words, "I have worked for Dodge for 15 years and never seen this." I said the suspension in front is beefed up and stiff but he said the guages would be messed up if that was the case. "It must be the sun then." I reply, "Explain the crack on the pass. side pillar starting at the top coming down and the crack on the actual trim piece around the guages." He then said "Well, I have no clue then." :confused: They said they won't do anything for me.:angry: :angry: Has this happened to anyone else?? I'm very disappointed with Dodge, so much to be thinking of replacing the truck with Ford or Chevy, even after the $2600.00 of accessories this truck has.....Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks in advance
  2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

When I worked for a auto resto company about 15yrs ago I went to put armor all on the tires of a austin martin we just restored and it was told to me that it dries the rubber out so from that point on I never put it on again.Maybe it dried out the dash?????
  3. dash

:nono: Armor-All is the worst for dashes. Armor-All makes the plastic very brittle...... I have a 94 Dodge Cummins. Original Dash.. No cracks. I use baby wipes to clean. No armor-all...
  4. NoFearDeere

That sucks...I was kinda afraid of that...
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

No armor-all on my 74,89,01 and no cracks, well o.k. the 74 has one. lol
    The A pillar trim and the dash bezel just pull off, it would be an easy fix.
    They should last a long time if you start treating her like a truck.:waving: lol
  6. truck

Is your truck still under warranty? If not, I have seen some really nice dash tops that glue on top of you existing dash. You can not even tell they are there once installed..... Good Luck....:waving:

7. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L Senior Member

Ive hard armorall does that to dashboards.
  8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Yup, Armour-all is the cause- I use Pledge. Our old GMC Blazers suffered the Armour-all fate as did my Toyota truck- never again. My father's 82K5 has only been pledged and there's no cracks...
  9. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

Dash Board Blues

:waving: Pop, I have to agree with Proworkz and JustMe. The Armor all is your cullprit! If you have put a ton of it on to soak it in, it may or may not dry out. How about baking? Some baking pans are telfon coated, that's what your doing with the armor. Applied to your dash, The sun bakes the oils in the dash which eventually cracks! I like to keep my trucks looking showroom clean too, I agree that pledge works good. Something with UV protection would also be good.

PaleRider :gunsfiring:
  10. RTW5150

RTW5150 Junior Member
    from IL

I use the 1/8 inch of dust method to protect my dash! :D

11. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

I use the 1/8 inch of dust method to protect my dash

Me too! Helps to keep the glare from the sun down!
  12. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Guys Ive been using armor all on my 2002 since Day 1 No Cracks what so ever . and still shines great everytime i clean it! so popo I dont know whats going on with yours! Good luck
  13. NoFearDeere

I ordered a dashmat cover today so that should hide the numerous cracks on the dash that send me into a world of pissed off every time I look at them!:angry: :realmad: :mad: :angry: