1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge Dakota

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by tasbm5, Jan 24, 2010.

1. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

Hey guys i got a question and i figured this is the best place to ask.I bought a 04 Dakota about 3 weeks ago ( i love it )and was asked again today how the front end was and not to put a plow on it bla bla bla .Are the front ends that bad ? or is it all internet BS ? People told me i couldn't plow with a 4cyl tj and man were they wrong.Thanks in advance Terry

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Ball joints were the weak point on my 99, all 4 had to be replaced within 3 months of occasional plowing. The Moog replacements were still good 2 years later when I sold the truck.

3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

03/04's were (are) the best years for the Dakota. They had the largest brakes (disk at all 4 corners, the new style uses drums in the rear), and the ball joints were the upgraded ones (post recall) and aren't that bad. I had to replace mine at 70K miles and I did them with Moog. - have 2 seasons of plowing with the Moogs and no problems.

4. lilpusher

lilpusher Senior Member
    from Indiana

I got a 97 ext cab sport, replaced everything on the front end before the beginning of the season, it still had original ball joints at 135k. But they were totally gone and should have been replaced 50k ago. Plows great just put a new snoway 26 on this week, had a snoway st but was too small for what i needed. i like plowing better than my old 3/4 ton chevy i used to use.

5. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

Do a Search, the Dakota is a great little plow truck compared so the 1/2 tons. Just search under my posts and you'll see what are the areas to pay attention to for upgrading.

6. Supersnow

Supersnow Member

I am on my fourth Dakota, all have had plows mounted on them 87' 96' 98' and now a 2001 quad with 50,000 miles I picked up too cheap to repeat from a township auction. I mounted westerns on all of them, either 6'6" or lightweight 7' or 7'6" All plowed great, 6cyl, 318's and the latest a 4.7 litre.
    They will eat brakes,gas and plow snow.... we cranked up the torsion on the front ends to get them up a bit but never did more than that. They are not F350's but they are really fun to take out and clean up and do drives with...Back in the day Chevy always officially said not to plow with their stuff either...Whatever.

7. snowfighter75

snowfighter75 Senior Member

I love my Dakota for plowing. Not one front end problem yet after 2 years. But my plow only weighs about 250lbs. I'm happy. I plow 12 accounts too!

8. kannon

kannon Junior Member

snowplowing

so you would have no problem with a ram 1500 with a hemi engine in to snowplow... thanks scott