1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge Dakota

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Third Day, Sep 14, 2000.

1. Third Day

Third Day Junior Member

Just wondering if any one has checked into the four door Dodge Dakotas ? I plan on upgrading and thought that would be practical due to the ability to haul 4+ people and also comes with a V-8. Just wondering if anyone thought about it or checked into them.

2. fivestr19

fivestr19 Junior Member

they are very sharp looking trucks, a lot of power for a small truck the only drawback is the smaller bed, if u plan on using the bed to haul stuff it wont be efective, but other that that they are great

3. ScaryCary

ScaryCary Junior Member

Club Cab

I bought a Dodge Dakota Club Cab and its great! seats five in a pinch and has no problem pulling my trailer loaded with my Walker, three "21 hondas, three trimmers, two blowers etc. etc.

4. muffy189

muffy189 Senior Member

i have a 98 extended cab and push the same size plow i do with my full size truck and it just has a sex cylinder. awesome truck wouldnt trade it for the world

5. dinger838

dinger838 Junior Member

I have a 2006 dodge dakota with a 5'' lift and the 6 banger. i wish i went with the ram. but i was on a tight budget, not a bad little truck ive put her through hell and back but shes still chugging. the v-8 would be perfect. when she blows on me im putting a 4 cyl cat in it. check dodgeforum.com lots of knoweledge for the daks over there.

6. muffy189

muffy189 Senior Member

ya we had a 23" last feb 7th here and that thing plowed its butt off and didnt miss a beat except for the couple of times i got stuck, which i hadnt been stuck in years plowing till then.

7. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

What year? I bought the Dakota simply because it was a smaller truck and easier to live with on a daily basis, and with the Quad Cab, as long as an Extended Cab Half Ton. The draw back is the smaller bed, but with the tailgate down you'd be surprised how much you can fit.

The 2000-2004 Body style was the first with a quad cab, and probably handled the best. It could tow 6000# and if you find an 03 with the 5.9 motor, they are beasts (had one.) You can even adapt them with AWD/4HI/4Lo from the Durangos along with a 9.25" Rear LSD. I have the AWD and LSD and rarely ever engage in anything else while plowing. Even in heavy rain where 2WD trucks will spin being light in the rear, the AWD is super sturdy. Add a Leaf, Timbrens, and the Tow Package equals easy hauling with this truck. Only thing that stinks on these are the seats are crappy! I'm upgrading to ones out of an 05.

If your looking for the next best thing, I'd go with 2008-2010 Dakota as the newer 4.7 has 300hp. Tows upto 7000#s and still a very capable truck. Only downside with the newer ones are parts arent that cheap yet since the 4.7 was just recently released. However, they are great trucks for plowing as the front axles are highly rated (enough to match a half ton...)

8. muffy189

muffy189 Senior Member

mine is a 98 extended cab i have timbrens on the front and add a leaf on rear i had a salt spreader on the back and it held 1000 lbs loaded and i always had 800 in the bed so it took a beatin, my dad had an 87 dakota and used to pull our bull dozer and our case 1845 skid loader with it.

im not sure yet whether i like the new body style or not but it sounds like one hell of a truck. I built the dies for my body style dakota and durango years ago so im pretty partial to them. lol. alot of hours working on those dies.

9. CarCrazed4Life

Agreed. I've had over 2000# of commercial wall paper vinyl in this bed and it did better then every half ton on the job site. These trucks are seriously smaller half tons.

10. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I doubt ThirdDay is going to answer back, this thread was from 2000. LOL

11. plowguy43

Do you have a 2" spacer and 3" body lift? No one makes a 5" suspension lift for the 05+ trucks.

12. CarCrazed4Life

Quite true! Thanks Muffy LOL

I was just thinking the same thing. I have a 3" Body Lift for mine sitting in the garage. I have almost 2" with the Torsion Bars turned equally all the way up. I'm waiting for this summer to convert the chormed out bumpers and grille to the Body Colored ones and then get some Black Rock Type 8 in 17s with 285/70/17 (32.8" vs vs the 265/70/16 which are 30.6", about a 1.1" gain in height due to tires.)

So overall Hopefully, I'll have a 6" Lift... But thats how I figure the math out...

13. bill7101

bill7101 Member

wonder what happened that someone is resurecting posts from 2000, this is the third one i have seen on the site today.

14. dinger838

dinger838 Junior Member

Yep, just easier than breaking it all down haha. its too bad nobody has manufactured a true suspension lift for this truck yet.

15. dinger838

dinger838 Junior Member

im running 32.5 bfg mud terrains there awesome tires could go taller but these are fine for me

16. muffy189

muffy189 Senior Member

i dont have a lift on mine but im running 31 bfg all terrains on mine and i love them bfgs are the best tires ive found

17. CarCrazed4Life

I will be going with General Grabber AT2 (studdable On/Off Road All Terrain Tires) in 33x12.5x17 (315/70/17 equivalent.)

18. plowguy43

The 315s will be closer to 35's go with 305/70/16s that will be 33x11.5's. I ran those on my dakota with cragar soft 8's, 3" body lift, tbar crank and 2" blocks in the rear. It looked great, oh yeah I ran grabber at2's as well lol

19. CarCrazed4Life

Well the 33x12.5x17 is the actual official size. The equivalent is really not correct. Those are 35x12.5x17 equivalents. To be apple to apple in the conversion, its really like a 325/60/17...

And the Cragar Soft 8s are very similar to the Black Rock Type 8. Hell they maybe the same wheels with a slightly different finish (Matt Black) and a Black Center Cap vs the Chrome.

Great minds think alike!

20. gpshemi

gpshemi Member

Had an 2002 QC with 3" Body Lift and 285's. It also had the Jeep's HO cam for the 4.7L V-8. Little guy was quick and towed trailers like a dream. Was my favorite truck of all times. However, it wouldn't tow a 41' Toyhauler. So off it went. 8-(