1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge Dakota Quad cab snow plow

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Fred886, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Fred886

Fred886 Member

New to the forum. I have a 2004 dodge dakota quad cab V6, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what snowplow would work the best. I plan on beefing up the suspension in the next few weeks. Does anyone plow with the quad cab and how does it perform?Thanks!

2. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I have never ran a Dakota, but I would look into Snoway plows. They seem to be the plow of choice on light duty trucks.

3. Fred886

Fred886 Member

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you think it would be able to handle a small church parking lot? I'm going to be running two dodge dakotas and a 1990 ford f250 with a myers as a backup.

4. born2farm

How small of a parking lot are we talking

5. Fred886

Fred886 Member

The lot has twenty parking spaces. the driveway is only thirty feet long.

6. born2farm

I would say you will be OK IF you can plow with the storm. I know some churches I've done only wanted plowed before Wednesday and Sunday services. If it snowed Wednesday night we wouldn't get to plow until Sunday morning. By then it was a hard pack mess.

7. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

Mess is an understatement especially if you get a somewhat warm day in between with that nice ice layer on top. :mad:

8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I plowed with an 03 Dakota quadcab 4.7 v8 and used a 7.5'Fisher HD. I plowed a parking lot that was a little smaller than a football field but it was always after the storm. On smaller storms it wasn't an issue until the end of my passes (started at one side with the plow angled and worked my way across). It was a vacant lot which is why I did it this way. On the bigger storms it really beat up the truck because it was too light and the snow would stop the truck. Otherwise it was my favorite plow rig because it was rated to hold a full size plow but was small enough for tight drives and had an awesome turning radius. All I did was crank the torsion bars up and put fresh shocks in the front. The V6 in your truck will strain a bit on heavy storms but if you plow with the storm you'll be golden.

9. Fred886

Fred886 Member

Thanks for the info and feedback. I'll definately plow with the storm. I'm going to look at a three year old snoway plow this evening. Full setup and frame mount for 2k. Is this a good price? or should i look elsewhere?

10. bigfootpete

bigfootpete Junior Member

I plow with a 2001 Dodge Dakota Quad with the 4.7 and a 26 Snoway, and never had had any problems up here at about 9800 feet in Conifer, CO.

It's been a dependable setup over the last 6 years.

What model Snoway are you looking at?

The 26 series is the setup Snoway recommends for that rig

11. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

i would swap in a Cummings

12. Fred886

Fred886 Member

Yep, I'm looking at the 26 series. So it's pretty dependable? Would you recommend putting in timbrens? I also found a dealer close by that is pushing snow dogg plows installed for 3200. I've looked at reviews for them and they seem to be a pretty good plow.

13. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

SNOW WAY 26 SEEMS TO BE GREAT. i HAD A 99 DAKOTA 5.2V8 AND ALMOST PUT A PLOW ON. I WOULD HAVE WENT WITH THE SNOWWAY BASED ON PERFORMANCE/WEIGHT/RELIABILITY.

14. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

What's a Cummings?

15. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

16. jimv

jimv Senior Member

i used to plow with a 98 xcab v6 had i 7 fisher mm worked great know i have 06 dakota xcab with v8 love dakotas

17. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

The engine that dodge puts in their trucks

18. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

My last truck was a Dodge and it had a Cummins, not a Cummings.
    Dude, I'm just bustin your chops. Thumbs Up

19. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

Haha i know im busting yours also...well someones anyway, you just happened to bite my bait. I hate when people pull that cumminGs crap on me. Thumbs Up

20. Fred886

Fred886 Member

I went with the snow dogg plow. looks pretty good. I'm still looking for a backup plow to put on my other truck. heres a pic of the plow- IMG_5130.jpg IMG_9570.jpg

IMG_5130.jpg

IMG_9570.jpg