1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge Dakota or Ford

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by desearth, Nov 12, 2008.

1. desearth

desearth Junior Member
    from PA

Hey Everyone I have a problem and just looking for some advice, I have been plowing for a few years with a 1988 jeep wrangler with a standard 6.5 western plow. Just driveways and help a friend plow my community about 1 mile of roads. Well the truck is dead and went looking to get another one and not looking to pay $4000.00 to $5000.00 for a used 1988 to 1995. I now have a 2004 ford f250 crew cab, but with plow the truck is almost 25 feet long. Ok my problem is, do I put a new or used plow on my ford truck for $3000 to $5000 or do I get another truck, looking at a dodge Dakota $6000 to $7000, I have all the mounting brackets and wire harness for the western plow for that truck. I have also been looking at jeeps but not happy with the condition for the age and price. I know my gut is saying put the plow on the ford but i think it will be to large, the dakota would be good as a 2nd truck and a liitle better gas mileage. Any help would be great.

2. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

Jeep Wranglers make the best lil plow vehicles in my opinion. I just would not have gone Western. I'd gone SnoWay or Blizzard since they are lighter and less wear and tear on the front end.

As for a truck, I'd say the F250 is a great truck to plow with, but as a commercial plow. Its too big to do small tight lots or driveways. I use a Dakota, and personally fit it perfect for commercial small lots (Restaurants, Hotels, Office Buildings, etc.) and driveway use. My thing would be keep the weight low on the Front End. That said you have all the equipment for a Western 6.5, so the Wrangler or the Dakota makes sense.