1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dodge cummins with plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by fastxcr800, Nov 19, 2008.

1. fastxcr800

fastxcr800 Member

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 quad cab short bed with a cummins. I'm told that with the diesel I can't put a plow on because there would be too much weight on the front end. I would like to get an 8 1/2 foot plow, but don't want to go any smaller than 8'. I really like the blizzard speed wing, but that's even heavier than a straight blade. Does anyone run a plow on a truck with a diesel? Any problems?

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

There are hundreds of users on this site who run plows on their diesel trucks. I run Dodge trucks with V plows and they have no issues with weight whatsoever. Whoever told you that you can't put a plow on a diesel is an idiot. Put your 8'6" plow on and don't worry about it.

3. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

You would be fine. Go with a 8.5ft plow. Find a dealer that will do it. Theres guys that run blizzard 810s on that same truck with no problems at all. Does your truck have the plow prep pkg.? Not that its a big deal but some quad cab short bed cummins do.

4. Joe Snow

Joe Snow Senior Member

Worried about weight, go with a poly blade like a Hiniker or others. I got an 8' Hiniker straight poly on my Dodge, same setup as yours but mine's a 2500

5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 9'2" Boss V-Plow on mine and it squats about an inch when I raise it up. Don't worry about it!

6. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

Wish I got a bigger plow on mine running a straight 7.6 meyer on a 2500 cummins

7. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

My dealer said that my 8' Hiniker was too much yet they had the same trucks on the lot with bigger plows. One had a westen wide out and the other had a boss XT on it.

You will be fine with just about any plow on that truck.

8. fastxcr800

fastxcr800 Member

Just bought a used meyers 8' plow for $2500 only used one season, came off the same truck as mine but an 06. Thanks for all the great information, THINK SNOW!!!

9. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Poly plows are actually heavier than steel. They have more reinforcement.

10. RamPainting LLC

RamPainting LLC Senior Member

I'm planing on installing a wideout or a V of some sort on my 3500 dually, Myers website shows 6 or 7 different plows for our trucks, including there V setup.

11. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

My friend has a 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 quad cab long bed with a Cummins. And he has an 8.5' Fisher on it and he has no probablems with it.

12. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

dont get a blizzard....

13. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

remove the words "quad cab" when calling and asking if they will install a plow onto your truck... see what happens.

I know of 2 dealers that will do what they can to not install plows onto quad or crew cab trucks.

14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Any particular reason?