1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge,Cummins snow plow mode

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by SnoFarmer, Dec 3, 2014.

1. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Snow plow mode allows the cooling system and fan to perform to their optimum capability when using a plow blade, which greatly affects the airflow around the front of the truck, ensuring that your engine temperature remains normal.

All Cummins-powered Ram Heavy Duty pickups and chassis cabs from model years 2008 and beyond are equipped with snow plow mode capability. Owners of 6.7L Turbo Diesel engines built prior to model year 2008 can receive the snow plow mode capability by requesting the J35 software flash update at your local dealership, if you haven't received this software update on your truck already.

If you have snow plow mode capability, here’s how to activate it:

Key on your truck without starting it.
    Pull in the cruise control cancel switch and hold. While holding the cruise control cancel switch, push the exhaust brake switch twice. Then release the cruise control cancel switch.
    Repeat Step 2 three more times for a total of four complete times to activate snow plow mode.

You will then hear two chimes, which confirm that snow plow mode has been activated. Your truck will remain in snow plow mode until you deactivate it. To deactivate it, follow the same series of steps above. You will then hear four chimes, which confirm that snow plow mode has been deactivated. To avoid any risk of overheating, always be sure to activate snow plow mode on your truck while using your plow. Be sure to remember to deactivate snow plow mode once you have finished plowing so that you can maintain fuel economy during normal driving.

http://www.cumminsnewsletters.com/td/td28_snow.html
    Thumbs Up,,

2. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Good Info here!

3. underESTIMATED

underESTIMATED Senior Member

Interesting.

Will see if this works on my 2014 4500 tomorrow.

Thanks for the post!

4. CornerStoneProp

CornerStoneProp Senior Member

I couldn't get this to work on my 14 2500 CTD, we have a different exhaust brake with an Auto and On mode which I am not sure that is the difference.

5. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I think you posted this in another thread and I tried it then and couldn't get it to work either. I think the reason may be that my air brake has three modes. Hit it once and it comes on, hit it a second time and it goes in to "auto" mode. Hit it a third time and it goes off. Not sure if that's the reason or not, but I've tried it and never heard any chimes. Not sure what the problem is.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Up, down, up, down, left, right, left, right, b, a, start.

If that doesn't work, just restart your game console andtry again.. ..

.. .. Pfffffft .

7. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Date at the bottom of the article is 2011.

8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Air brake?...
    We don't have no stinking air brake ;)
    We have a variable geometry turbo with a integrated exhaust brake and good old hydraulic brakes

:drinkup:

It took a few tries to get it to work on mine.

How the new ones are configured could pose a problem.
    To bad for you....xysport

But I don't see cummins stoping the programming this feature.
    So there must be a way to enable it.

Maybe a email to cummins....

9. JustJeff

Ya, thanks SnoFarmer. I've got to go to the dealership tomorrow for some warranty work anyway, so I'll see if they can show me how to turn it on. I'll bet a dime to a dollar that they won't even know though. I'm not very impressed with the service writers, or even the mechanics knowledge at this dealership.

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

They seem to be clueless when it comes to the options available on the
    Diesels.

I asked the "diesel" tec at the local dealer if Turing on the exhaust brake upon starting it would aid in warm up, he said no.
    When It Says it does in the owners manual .

And I had to get them to let me use the "tool" to go in and enable the PTO.
    And turn on the puddle lights with high beams .

11. JustJeff

Turn on the puddle lights with the high beams? I don't know what this one means. Are puddle lights the ones on my mirrors? And if so, what were you trying to accomplish by doing this?

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Puddle lights, ie the clear fog lights.
    It fills in the gray area in front and under the high beams ,
    Illegal on most public streets.

You will have to change the country in the front buss :dizzy:
    I went with Canada .

This may not work with the 15s + as they changed the options and how and where it is kept in the buss.

13. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

I'll have to look into this. I've got an '11 Cummins, but didn't think I had an exhaust brake.
    These new trucks have so many buttons...

14. JustJeff

If you don't have a plow on that truck why would you worry about it? Just to see how it works?

15. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Yeah, pretty much. I've only had it a couple months. I keep finding things it can do, my last newest truck was a '98, quite a leap in technology. For what we do, the older trucks work. I'm sure it'll get a plow in a couple years, but for now the old trucks cover what I need (the '11 is a loooong truck). Gonna try to start switching over a blizzards soon and get away from straight blades.

16. JustJeff

Gotcha. Once you put a containment plow on a truck, whether it's a V or a Wideout type of blade you're going to wonder why you didn't do it years ago, I promise you.

17. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

I hear that. Getting sick of the straight blade for sure. Replaced too many other things this year though. New plow will have to go on next year's tab. Unless I find a good deal on used one and we get some snow soon!

18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I'm still surprised at the number of people who dont read the owners manual or know what options their vehicle comes with..

from 07.5 and on all of the 6.7's come stock with a exhaust brake.
    tip, dont use it in slippery conditions.

Do you have a cord for the block heater?

19. JustJeff

SnoFarmer, you actually plug yours in? I haven't yet, even with last years frigid temps. Started fine every time except once, when the fuel was gelled up. And I did read my owner's manual, thoroughly, but for some reason when I bought mine they only gave me the regular manual, not the diesel supplement. I had to download that online myself. Still, there's an awful lot of information to take in and retain!

20. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I do plug mine in, and it always starts,
    I dont use synthetic oil, so I plug it in when the temps fall into the lower teens and we use h a oil pan heater for when it's below zero.

plugged it in at -32*f and in 2hrs it was up to 70*F.

The cord, they can be hidden in the frame behind the bumper, and some didn't get the cord.
    but they all come with a block-heater regardless.

My truck has never gelled up.(knock on wood)( tractors with summer fuel still in the tank, yes.)
    Most are actual freeze ups from water not the fuel gelling, unless your in a state like MN who still has some BIO in the winter fuel.
    The never ending quest for lower micron filters,doesn't help, they can lead to filter plunging as the temps fall.
    I run Howes as I said,& since i started to i have had no fuel issues.
    not every additive works well with bio and ulsd.

There is a recall for the 13 or 14's.
    It seems that the fuel heater is not turned on at the rear filter that can lead to filter plugging and the wiring for the engine mounted filter needs a new plug.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014