1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dodge cummins at 800 ft lb of torque!

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by sno commander, Feb 13, 2011.

1. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

went on dodges website today and to my suprise they got the 6.7 to 800 lb ft of torque at 1600 rpm. i think they have 2 versions one with the 350/650 the other with 350/800. cant wait to see how they stack up with the dmax and ford now.

2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

It's about time they turned it up. The Cummins is one of the most capable engines in the market now and dare I say in history xysport. I am sure it is still slower in a stock to stock 0-60mph run but who cares. I dont buy diesels to go racing.

What I think is crazy is if these are making 800tq from the factory what are they going to make with a programmer? I would guess you will see daily driven trucks making 1100+tq.

3. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

The best ting about the cummins is you get all that torque at 1600 rpm versus the v8s that you have to rev up before that power comes in.

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Now all we need is to get that torque to the ground - tires are going to be key as is weight/ballast in the back. Driving 650ft-lbs on a rain covered road is tricky enough.

5. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

lots of blown transmissions too! But I get one soon :)

6. NYH1

NYH1 Senior Member

I noticed on their Body Builder site they increased the max towing capacity on their 3500 DRW trucks from 16 to 17K up to 20 to 22K depending on the truck and how it's set up! Thumbs Up

7. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

I can remember back in the 70s and 80s Dodge Trucks were usually crap. Man have they ever done a turn around the Cummins and their 5.7. They usually copied somewhat the other 2s styling. But they set the benchmark in the early 90s on the new big truck look. The other 2 had to follow. I think Dodge is the only one with a diesel that ya dont havta add DEF fluid to. Only one thing I dont like about the Dodge is the big pillar behind the doors on a straight cab. Seats are rock hard and sit too low. Maybe Just Me

8. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Rock hard yes but I always thought Dodge's seats sat tall. Taller than a GM anyways

9. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

The 2010+ Trucks have much softer seats then the 06-08 (09 2500)'s if that is what you are comparing it too. And I agree, Dodge always sits the highest in my opinion, Ford's are very close but Chevy's feel like your in a car/small SUV.

10. plowguy43

Here's an article about it:

Last Updated: February 09. 2011 2:22PM
    Chrysler to announce Cummins turbo diesel engine for Ram trucks
    Alisa Priddle / The Detroit News
    Chicago — Chrysler Group LLC today will announce a high-output Cummins turbo diesel engine for the Dodge Ram heavy-duty pickup as well as the Ram Tradesman, billed as a value light-duty work truck.

The Ram 3500 HD with the new Cummins engine will generate 800 pound-feet of torque, up from 650, on trucks with an automatic transmission. Torque is crucial to the market that uses these trucks for towing.

Advertisement

The bump makes the Ram on par with Ford's F-Series heavy duties and both exceed the capability offered by General Motors Co.

Ram now claims top towing capacity at 22,700 pounds on the 3500 pickup with dual rear wheels which has a special rear axle. Ford is a close second at 22,600 pounds.

Ram engineers also worked to give the truck the strongest diesel brake for engine braking, especially useful when the truck is hauling a trailer down a hill.

The Tradesman value package is designed to compete with pickups from Ford Motor Co. and GM with a 6-cylinder engine.

With a price tag under $23,000, consumers are essentially getting the Hemi V-8, class 4 trailer hitch and few other features free. The Tradesman value package is only available on the regular cab.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110209...bo-diesel-engine-for-Ram-trucks#ixzz1Dx9rkoET

11. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

So are these trucks already out there? I thought the trucks would already be built and that they are building the trucks for the 2012 year now.

12. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

I would guess all Cummins will come with Aisin only

Umm I have to disagree. The mid to late 80's trucks with the 360 and 318 were awesome. Only the fuel injected ones. The carb ones needed some attention

13. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

All the Duramax torque numbers are at 1600 rpm

14. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

all that torque right off the idle can cause some wheel spinning in the snow- but you get over it ;)

15. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I thought the Aisin only came in the Cab &Chassis.

16. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

17. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Awwww, 800 pound feet is cute...

There are daily driven Cummins Dodges in the 1800 pound feet range.

18. H20-32

H20-32 Member

I saw a T.V. commercial last night for the 800ft lbs Rams. IMO you can't kill the cummins just everything around it. If these specs are for 2012, I'am sure Ford and GM will up their specs for 2012.

19. plowguy43

Do they come with a 5year 100k mile warranty?

True, but today's trucks last a lot longer than those of the early 90's so that saying is starting to lose its bearing as well. :salute:

20. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

They had to up the towing capacity on the Ram trucks to compete with the new Ford and Dmax. Diesel Power just did a comparison of the trucks and couldn't include the Ram because it was not rated for that much weight. I have also heard rumors of an 8 speed auto behind the 6.7, and if that comes true I am buying one. Gotta start saving my pennies!