1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge Cummins and transmissions

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by polarplowing, Mar 5, 2006.

1. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

I am currently looking at buying a 98 Dodge 3/4 ton ext. cab, short box, with the Cummins diesel. How are the transmissions in these trucks holding up under the strain of plowing snow and pulling equipment around?? I really like the Cummins motor but am a little spooked about the Mopar transmissions. Also how do the front suspensions hold up with a plow out front? The truck that I am looking at has 180,000 miles on it and has a 8'2 boss v-blade on it for the last couple of years, but hasn't seen any real heavy plowing. I am concerned with the weight (860# of so) and the springs with the heavy diesel motor. Any comments or suggestions would be great. Thanks for your time.

Ryan

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

what kind of maint has the truck had . 180k isnt a lot of miles for the motor but for the rest of the truck it might be worn out . have it checked at a repair shop before buying. how much are they asking.

john

3. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

Dodge Cummins price

they are asking 12,000 for the truck and a year old Boss 8'2" v-blade. It was owned by a tree nursery and only experienced light plowing. I am not sure how much it was used during the summer months. The truck is used as a daily driver so I would assume that he takes good care of it. I checked on KBB and they say that just the truck is worth around 11,500, so with the blade I think it is a pretty good deal, just a little un sure of the tranny's and front end.

Thanks

Ryan

4. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

Sorry, the blade is a couple of years old, i guess.

5. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

my 98 gasser tranny shifts awesome and that truck has no problems with anything

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

It is not the ideal setup- q cabs should not be plowed, especially diesels but tons of people do it anyway.

My 96 Std cab was not supposed to have a plow but it does anyway. The engine weight is a concern and the weight balence from the qcab overloads the front axles with a plow. Expect to replace front end componants more frequently than normal from the extra loading.

Trannys are ok as long as the engine is stock or very mildly modified. Proper maintenance is the key- fluid and filter and band adjustment are big deals for a working truck. Drive with OD off unless you are doing highway speeds (rpm more than 1800 consistantly) because the line pressure is low for normal city driving and the od clutch will wear fast from constant in out shifting at low pressure (read it's expensive to replace the od clutch). Milage is no issue for the engine, but as was mentioned check out the truck itself. CTD's are 300K+ mile engines.

I had my line pressure raised and a custom shift kit installed with a few other mods to beef my tranny (a 96).

Check out dieseltruckresource.net and dodgeram.net, even TDR.com for other dodge diesel specific info.

Maintenance is key to everything in this field.

7. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

Just found out

I just found out from the guy selling it for one of his buddy's that it is actually a 5 speed manual tranny. Does anyone plow with a 5sp diesel??? I would think that you would go through a ton of clutches plowing with a 5 sp. It would probably work if you didn't have to backup alot.
    Thanks for your help
    Ryan

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Plowing with a standard is simply thigh muscle building experiance. I learned to plow in a 4 speed 3500 Dump. clutch wear is only, and I mean ONLY generated by the driver riding the clutch.
    If your foot is on the pedal the pedal better be on the floor.
    Other than that, step on the clutch before entering a pile at the same point you would let off the gas in an auto. Pretty simple, the tough thing is your leg will be sore and your hands are kept pretty busy.

9. motoxdk24

motoxdk24 Member

its a 5sp? you better scoop that up before someone else does- alot of people want manuals with the cummins

10. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

Thanks

Thanks for all of your help. I just picked it up today and did a little plowing with it and I love it. Thanks again!

Ryan:salute:

11. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Hows the truck been working out so far? Got any pictures of it?

12. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

cummins

I love the truck. I haven't plowed with it but it drives great, with tons of torque. Can't wait to put here to work next year.
    there are a few pics on one of my other threads.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=34758

Ryan