1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge Coil springs

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by IA Farmer, Nov 8, 2004.

1. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

I have a 1997 Dodge 1500 and was wandering if anyone had heard of progressive coil springs, and are they better then timberns. thanks
  2. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Talk to Big Nate when you see him online here. I have a 2000 Ram 2500 and he told me he'd recommend an upgrade of the front coils to 1 ton springs before he'd recommend the timbrens.
  3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I also would go the stiffer coil route. That is doing it the right way. And should you sell it, the new buyer will be more impressed. You will get your money back and more.
  4. North Country

North Country Senior Member

RAM_ON97 - The best thing you can do is upgrade to heavier coils. After much research I went up to the 39/46 combo, they are large enough coils for a heavy plow yet they do not make your truck feel like a mack.

Get under the truck and check the spring tag for the size. My truck came stock with the 38/39 combo so I slid the 39 to the passenger side and added the 46 to the driver side. The 46 from the dealer was about $100 I think.

If you were not already aware, they run a heavier spring on the driver side to compensate for the gas tank and driver.

Currently I have a 9' Fisher on the truck which weighs about 810# and I experience very little drop with the plow up and the 39/46 combo. - michael
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I'm using a 46- 47 combo on my 98 2500 (gaser)with a boss 9.2 v blade. The springs cost $ 209. for the pair from Dodge. The truck now rides like a truck(not a boulevard cruiser). I would use two new springs because the old springs may be worn out. I'm using the 39-38 combo on a 01 2500 with a 8ft hiniker, it handles the weight o.k. but if you have a heaver plow you would be happier with stiffer springs. Even with the 46-47 combo the ride is not tooth rattling like some say but, firm instead of spongy. I'ts really personal preference, how you want your plow truck to be set up.
  6. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

not a boulevard cruiser

LMAO :cry:
  7. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Don't buy the Dodge springs. None of them are up to the job. With the diesel and the plow hanging off the front, I needed some beef. Go with the straight truck Class 6 springs from your MOOG dealer. They got a set that is a no mod direct replacement for the Dodge springs. And yeah, it now rides like a truck. Big deal. Heck, it SOUNDS like a truck out of it's 5 inch straight exhaust.
  8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

trumpted!!!! ...... :drinkup:
  9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

the moog springs are the same spec as the dodge springs.... go get the moogs if you want to pay more.. moog makes good parts don't get me wrong, but not every one needs the biggest stiffest springs. he's running a 1500 with a smaller plow and lighter engine, so he'll probably woun't need the stiffest springs...
    question???? for pro seasons... what mods?? I put my springs in my self in about an hour and a half with NO MOD"S...
    And what's with the loud pipes? I love them on my charger, but my customer's don't need to hear me plow there lot or drive to know that i was there at 3a.m. the cleared lot will speak for it's self.. or are you offering a wake up service?