1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge Buyback

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by sle, Dec 20, 2009.

1. sle

sle Member
    from midwest

Hi
    I would like to get some advice from you guys.
    I am looking @ a 2007 dodge 3500 with about 19850 miles.
    BTW, it is a crew cab 4wd slt fully loaded minus the leather.
    The dealer is asking $26200.00
    I drove it, and it seemed fine, but after reading the car-fax, I come to find out that the prev owner
    had problems with it going into Regen.
    I was told that it has been corrected and, it would come with the remaing factory warranty + 1 year b to b warrenty.
    It is certainly within my budget, however, I don't want to be stuck with a lemon.
    I apologize for the long thread.
    Thanks

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Go for it, if its a lemon they can buy it back again. I thought the 07's were still the 5.9 without regen though?

3. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

The 5.9, if I recall, were in early 07's, and the 6.7 showed up later in 07.

4. sle

sle Member
    from midwest

Thanks guys.
    I must say, I really liked the truck. And the Jake brake was a real bonus..
    The problem with the truck was that it went into regen to often. From what I was told, it only occurred when towing.
    But he did say that it has been corrected.
    And yes, it is a 6.7 cummins.

5. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

The regen on most modern diesels vary the number of times the filters need cleaning depending on how the vehicle is driven. Seeing that the previous owner towed, he probably was frequently using his truck, thus causing it to go into regen more often.

6. rgnesda

rgnesda Junior Member

The harder you work the truck the less it will have to regen. People who just drive their truck like a car and have a lot of idle time will have more regens.

The change point between the 5.9 and 6.7 is the build year of the engine not the truck. Engines built after Jan 1 2007 are the 6.7 with the DPF system.

7. niederhauser la

niederhauser la Member
    from Utah

I would pass on it. The 07.5 had a few bugs and problems. Its pretty hard to get dodge to buy back a truck so im sure it had a ton of problems. Post your question on a cummins forum and they would tell you that you are crazy for buying a buy back

8. rgnesda

rgnesda Junior Member

If it was regening while towing that is fine. The only thing that happens is there is a light on the dash to let you know the system is hot. It is just an informational light. Some people think just because a light is on there is a problem. But it is working as intended.

9. niederhauser la

niederhauser la Member
    from Utah

There is no light telling you it is in regen. Sorry.

10. rgnesda

rgnesda Junior Member

My friends 07 with the 6.7 has the light. I'm pretty sure they all have some kind of info light. It may only come on at low speed.

I know on class 8 trucks the HEST (high exhaust system temp) light only comes on if the temp is over a set amount (around 400 F) and the vechicle speed is below 5 mph. Otherwise you cannot tell it is doing a regen.

11. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 Senior Member
    from wooster

i like dodge alot but looked in the paper today at a local ford dealer offering a 2009 f250 never titled not loaded by any means just basic stuff and ext cab and comes with a new 8ft meyers plow all ready to go for $24,990 plus tax out the door as much as i like dodge i have friends that buy brand new fords every 4-5 years and sell them with 200+ miles on them all gas motors and they put very little in parts most are covered by warrenty so might be some thing to check out cause there not selling very many new big trucks as much any more there cheaper than the dodge 1500 or f-150s so id do some shopping around and see what you can find in that range might end up driving off the lot with a brand new truck for that price as long as you cant care if its base or decked out i know i hardly use any thing in my dodge other than power windows and locks i used the power seat once to get it where i wanted it and thats been 2 years now and i havnt moved the seat up

12. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

NO, don't do it!!!! In the era of car fax this issue will be forever attached to this unit. If you decide to sell you will loose your shirt. Personally the 07.5's trucks are the most problematic for the 3rd gen era. If you are truly on a budget look for a truck with a salvage or rebuilt title attached to it. I have seen some nice units priced in the 5-12 K mark. Sure they might need a little work but at that price you can afford to put it into the truck. Or look at one with higher milage and lower price.

IMO stick with the 5.9L trucks they are proven and better on fuel.

13. sle

sle Member
    from midwest

Thank you all for all your honest opinions:)
    But I think that I will pass on the vehicle. I will however, look for a 2005-06 dodge.
    I know I will not get the 6 speed auto or jake brake:cry: but at least I will not have to worry
    about the possible problems.
    Currently, I have 2 d max and they run fine. But the only reason I am going for a dodge is because I want to try a solid front axle truck. I'm sure ford makes a nice truck however,I don't like their prices (to high).
    By all means, their is nothing wrong with the IFS axle, I just want something else.You only live once.
    Thanks again guys for all your help.
    Oh yeah, when I get my new truck, I plan on posting picks.
    Merry Christmas

14. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i hear ya, i wanted the new 6 speed auto and e brake but i couldn't deal with the emssions. i ended up geting one of the last 5.9's. mine has been a good truck so far.
    good luck on the search :drinkup:

15. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

You will love the 06-07 5.9l truck. I would buy another in an instant!!! If you can find one with leather for the cloth is a PITA to keep clean. Be patient the perfect truck is out there!!!

16. smokin4by

smokin4by Member
    from indiana

the 07's have a very bad trans problem, and the parts are always on back order. we had one guy last year that his 07 sat at the dealership for the whole season waiting on parts. he didnt push, just salted the hell out of whatever they let him drive.

anything with a dpf will be a hassle. my opinon is to buy one out of warranty, then get a dpf deletle kit on it asap !! or get a smarty programmer to turn off the regen. it wastes tons of fuel. we have picked up 3+ mpg with out them, plus if your pushing snow its harder than towing so the regen will run more often. 6.7's can be good motors but they need alot of the emissions dumped if your state has grey areas for it. we don't have testing so its not un common around here to see 6.7 rolling smoke like the 5.9's

17. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

Mine was a buyback. The rearend had problems. It was in NY state, all they need there is to bring a vehicle back for the same complaint 3 times and it can be bought back. I swapped it for a Dana 80 so no problems now.

18. sle

sle Member
    from midwest

Hello again,
    The salesman did tell me that if I had anymore problems, they would buy it back @ wholesale price. Which means that I pay $26200 and they would offer me peanuts to buy it baack.
    Thats right their scared me. I think that they are trying to screw me.
    Like I said before, I plan on waiting for a pre emission cummins.
    Thanks again for all your comments.

19. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

DONT rush man....i was in a pinch this fall, i went in and drove a 2008 6.7l because I couldn't find a 5.9l...I went back the next day to buy it and sure enough it was already sold. Then the next day I found my dream truck!! everything will work out...I ran into the guy who bought the 6.7l the other day, its been in the shop 4 times since he bought it hahah:)