1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dodge brakes

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by captfudd, Jan 16, 2003.

1. captfudd

captfudd Member

i have a dodge 1500 extended cab, 4whl drive 5.2 ltr engine, i have had the truck now for awhile, i bought the truck with 46,000 miles on it, and the problem i have had is

the front brakes wear out increadibly quick, i have just under 75k on the truck now and i am ready to put my 4th set of front brakes on it, my mechanic who also has a dodge said that he has noticed alot of the dodge 1500 series trucks with 4wd eatin thru the brakes

i was able to check the history of the truck and it has had no major acccidents & the prior owner told me that that was the main reason he had gotten rid off it, he went back to a ford, bought this one at a ford dealer,

my questions are 1- is anyone else having this problem or experienced this problem 2- i am told that they have a heavy duty pad available has anyone used them

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Pay close attention to the front caliper slides and bolts.They tend to stick,causing rapid pad wear.Some types of pads also wear better than others.Extreme duty or fleet pads may give you a bit more life out of a set.

Also makes sure the rear brakes are adjusted up frequently,like every oil change,and there are no wheel cyl or axle seal leaks.

Two other things to try,which may or may not apply to your truck.First would be increasing the wheel cylinder size to the next size up,which gives you more rear braking power,taking the load off the front.Second would be to adjust,or even bypass the rear height sensing brake proportioning valve (if equipped),as it tends to cut rear brake bias too much,making the fronts do all the work.

If you need more detail on how to do this let me know.

3. AtlasFBG2

AtlasFBG2 Member
    from Ohio

I have a 98 regular cab short bed with 83,000 miles.The Dodges proportioning valve sends more braking power to the front.Out of all the Chevys i owned i cant ever remebering changing pads on them more than once.This Dodge i changed 3 times so far.Keep your rear shoes adjusted often.Thats the only cure i found.Also found Carquest cheapo brake pads to give me the most life.

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Like Wyldman said,you need to keep the rear brakes adjusted frequently,this is the main problem more than likell.Also asstated the bias valve on the rams can be eliminated if the truck carrys some payload full time.if the bed is empty thsi may not be a good idea.it can be adjusted slightly to fool the valve into thinking it is sitting lower in the rear,thus more brake pressure will be sent to the rear.I dont knwo about the 1500's.but on the ram 2500's,the 98 and older im pretty sure,you could swap in the 3500 wheel cylinders,this helped even out the braking a lot, i dont knw if you could maybe put on a set from a different application and get more braking power that way.Im sure you know this already,but having a plow on that truck isnt helping any,the fronts will literally be doing all the work,being an excab 1500,that truck shouldnt have a plow on it at all,so this is defintely going to wear them quick.You can buy caliper slide grease at the auto parts store,pull out your bolts,and slides,clean the bores,and slides,and put this greaee on everything everytime you do a brake job,you should have any problems with sticking slides unless the boots are torn.

5. captfudd

captfudd Member

well i have plowed with this truck * 2 years, i take all the framkework off in the spring, and it is generally on the truck 3-4 months of the year, so i dont think the plow has alot to do with it, i will take thos recommendations and try them out,

and why is it that people say you cant plow with an extended cab p/u truck ?

mine is a dodge 1500 ext cab 6.5 bed, w/ a meyer 7.5 plow.

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Not that you can't plow with an extended cab,it's just tougher to do it without running overloaded.All the extra weight of the cab,gives you less room to mount a plow.Mfg's are concerned you may be driving around with six people in the cab,and the plow on,so your WAY overloaded

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

No one is saying you cant plow with the excab,your not supposed to.If you really want to knwo why,take your truck to a certified scale,with the plow on,and weigh it,with you in it,I bet your overweight on the front axle,should be 3850lbs MAX,i bet your 4000+lbs on the front axle,that is why your not supposed to plow with it,the exacb adds 400lbs to the weight of a Ram truck,90% of that weight is on the front end,that is why its ok with reg cab,not with excab,my ram 2500 literature says my truck can only plow with a 633 lb plow max,and a driver and one passenger only,and its a a quad cab,so they already figure on a driver and pass only when plowing.if it makes you feel any better im way over my front axle GVWR too,on the Ram.

8. captfudd

captfudd Member

i knew i was overwieght, but by beefing the suspension up should that help it,

and im curious does the wieght thing affect 3/4 ton ext. cab p/u's

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

The weight problem affects ALL trucks.Any time you add an entended cab,or crew cab,you add weight.The 3/4 ton has more front axle capacity,but also has a bigger front diff,bigger brakes,tires,etc,etc,which is much heavier than the 1/2 ton stuff.So the 3/4 ton can also be easily overloaded with an ext cab,especially with the diesel.