1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge boy 52

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Dodge boy 52, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Dodge boy 52

Dodge boy 52 Junior Member

I have been plowing for many years and have had several trucks. I just purchased a 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 LT. It came with an 8 ft Meyers plow. It was only used on the lot of a small trucking company never taken off the lot. I am having a problem with it getting very hot. Have changed the thermostat and the assembly on the fan. Still gets hot. Thinking of changing the sender unit too. However before I go any further any info re plow angle or height while carrying the plow would be appreciated or about ballast. It has a snow way bed based spreader too.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What's very hot?

3. Dodge boy 52

My truck.it keeps overheating. It is running a 6 litre. Keeps reaching temperatures of 125 C while 100 C equals boiling point. My question is does anyone have a similiar truck do you keep plow high low to left right. It's fine around town and plowing its just a highway problem. I have had 6 trucks over years and this is the second time I have had continuous over heating issues. Comments ladies and gentlemen.

4. dieselss

Did you replace the fan clutch with one from the dealer that is for the plow prep trucks?

And if my conversion is correct, that's 257.
    And if that's only during express way driving, then you should find alternative routes..imo

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  5. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

That's HOT.
    I would be slowing down or stopping before I let it get that hot.

Plugged radiator - Lower hose collapsing -

6. Dodge boy 52

I live in a small town. That is driving concession rds out to the mechanic. I'll check to find out if there is a special clutch for plow trucks. The current package is torsion bars light pre wiring skid plate alternator and one other thing I forget.

7. dieselss

Fan clutch...
    Have you looked to see if the front of the radiator is free and clear?

8. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Maybe time for a radiator flush.

9. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Flush the radiator and get a heavy duty fan clutch. That should solve your problem