1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge Body Probelm, Yeah yeah I know it is a Dodge

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by AC2717, Jan 28, 2010.

1. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

Hi Guys,
    Wanted to know if anyone else has had a problem like this before. I have a 2002 Dodge 1500 quad cab - in avatar photo, with 65,000 miles. S0 I was wasing the truck two days ago and I noticed all over the cab part of the body, the bed and tailgate for that matter little tiny rust pit spots everywhere. the truck is white so I have little tiny orange dots all over the truck, then weird enough not on the front fenders header pannel or the hood. When I first saw a couple of them they were around my right rear tire on the bed and it looked like it was kick up from something the tired kicked up and would wash off. It looks like chicken pocks are starting!!! And I know the truck is now 8 years old.

What am I going to do, I cannot afford to have the truck totally repainted, but then again with the low miles I wanted to drive the thing into the ground.

HELP!!!!

Please - looking for help and ideas, not "well it is a dodge what do you expect" crap

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Thats rail dust, from transport, little bits of rust gets blasted into the clear coat. you could really see it in my white 1500, not so much in my grey 2500. it isn't in the metal its just cosmetic. however make sure you pull the drain plug out of the bottom of the doors, if you don't water builds up inside the door and the whole bottom rusts out.

its not on the hood because that usually gets covered with that transport plastic you see on new vehicles coming from the factory..

3. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

Transport dust from 8 years ago would take this long to show, anyway to get it off there?
    Granted it was not there when I bought the truck a year ago this month, but it was a truck from the south and did not have a plow on it. It really started to show after the truck was basically a salt magnet after the Janaury 2/3 snow and Martin Luther King Day Storm, Obviously the salt kicked it into overdrive

what do I do, should I have the clear coat stripped and redone?

4. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Ive got a 2000 Chev ,,, white in color , same thing, no big deal, just use a appropriate cleaner for it and wax it

5. Grn Mtn

honestly I wouldn't worry about it too much, if your working the truck it makes you money, buy another in 3 years....

gets 3 quotes on stripping the clear coat and repaint and decide if its worth it.

6. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

my 05 f350 gets this some times.. like you said usually after high salt events. i just use a cleaner wax and it takes it right off no big deal. i think its metal flakes from the cutting edge or something sticking to the side of the truck and then rusting ontop of the paint from the water and salt getting all over the truck

7. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

ok then what are the recommendations to fix this??
    Thank god, I was starting to get really really nervous

8. Grn Mtn

A) don't sweat it, its going to keep happening, thats why I didn't buy another white truck.
    B) do what colliganlands said.

9. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

If you have a hard time taking the marks off buy a "clay bar" they are great but you have to do the whole truck so you dont see any inconsistancies. A clay bar will collect any deposits and clean the paint really well. A clay bar package usually will come with the bar, a detailing mist and a sponge. Follow the directions then polish it after and it will look like new.

10. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

SO I did some searching and talking to some body shop guys I know

Turns out that this could be brake particls and metal particals from the plow and anything else, that splinter off come off or wear off and are very hot/warm and they swirl up from the, air movement around the truck, and get kicked up from the tires and because they are warm or hot they stick or almost kinda weld themselves to the clear coat. then they rust because it is unprotected metal. You see it more in white vehicles due to the contrast in color

I was told a good hard buff will remove them and then a nice hard wax will help to prevent, but will not stop it, but will also make removal of them a lot easier. So my advice was to power wash the truck get what I can get off now and then have the truck buffed out at end of season

Other thing it means is that my brakes are probably getting ready to be replace, and the reason for more than usual amount showing up on the truck

11. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

The extra weight and plow add to the stopping distance and wear too, keep in mind the brakes might be semi metalic too adding to the grief. Don't feel bad I have seen plenty of new vehicles sitting on the lot for the winter having the same issues.

12. sidthss

sidthss Senior Member
    from GR MI

Yup, you nailed it on the head, many different causes, such as cutting edge wear, vehicle wear, big one is break pads wearing, and everything else in the air. We normally clay and wax all of our trucks once or twice a year and it keeps them looking very good. It is just very time consuming to do it, usually takes about a day to clay and half a day to wax, if you do it properly.
    Athough, everyone knows we would like to blame it on the dodge!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  13. DHDB

DHDB Member

Use Clay-Bar to clean the minerals off. Then wax the area.
    You are getting road debris (salt and minerial deposits) stuck into the clear coat. Use a Clay-Bar with plenty of liquid.

14. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

mine was also brake dust and particles. i used a buffer and compound then final glaze to get mine off