1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge '95 V10 5 spd ??

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Iowan, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Iowan

Iowan Junior Member

I don't know anything about these trucks and would like some advice. I'm looking at a 1995 regular cab 2500 with the V10 and a 5spd tranny. How reliable are these trannys and
    V10's. I don't do a lot of plowing but when I do I need it to be 100% reliable. Engine has 150k on it and it has a new clutch, ball joints, and tie rods.

Any input would be appreciated
  2. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

the trans are supposed to be very good the only problem ive heard with them is when they are in cummins trucks the engine will eventually shake the nut off that holds 5th gear onto the shaft, never heard of one doing that in a v10 truck. my v10 has never given me any problems and they have a good amount of power, ive seen many with high miles. i would say like anything else if you treat it well and maintain it you should be ok. obviously they arent exactly fuel efficient its 8 liters. only downside is you have that "great" 2nd gen 4wd dodge front end but he just put new parts in it so should be ok for a few 100 miles. if the price is right i wouldnt hesitate
  3. Iowan

Iowan Junior Member

Thanks for the input
  4. jrp267

jrp267 Junior Member

I have a 98 v10, its a good heavy duty truck with excellent power. The 5 spd I hear are great I have an auto and no prob yet. Usually the track bar is whats junk making the front end loose. They cost 153.00 at oriely for a significantly upgraded bar with a lifetime warranty. It's called the problem solver. Some of the early v01 had head prob. it shouldve shown by 150,000 if it did. All in all a good truck.