1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge 6.4/Ford 6.2 new 2500/250

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by srl28, Oct 16, 2014.

1. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

So without getting too of course and starting a huge debate on which brand is better I'm looking to get some input and opinions on what I should do here. Looking at a new truck that I will be running in the winter.

First truck is a Dodge 2500 with the new 6.4 gas engine, reg. cab long bed 4x4 with a Boss 8.2 or 9.2 (forgot which) on it already brand new sitting on dealers lot. They are looking to move it and with trading in my old 6.0 ford for 9700 I can have the truck before tax and tags for around $26,000.

Second truck is a 2015 F350 6.2 gas regular cab long bed that does not have a plow on it but can get the western wideout put on for $6,100.00 through the dealer and roll it into the truck financing. Ford also offered around $9,000 for my 6.0 trade. All told in the end before tax and tags I would be pretty close to the dodge price, maybe slightly more.

I've always had fords, and plowed with my 250 6.0 the last 3 years and loved it. I've driven both the new dodge and ford and although the dodge seemed to have a little more power they were both pretty equal, maybe I'm being a little biased idk.

Any input on either truck would be appreciated and since this is in the dodge thread I'm kinda looking for some opinions on the new 6.4 motor.

2. ry_rock

ry_rock Senior Member

It depends if you want the wideout or the v plow, depends on your work and lots, you need to consider that!!
    The 6.2 in the Ford has been around for a few years now...no major issues with them. I am a dodge diesel guy but I do have a F250 with the 6.2 and like it for what it is

3. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

How do you like the power out of the 6.2?

We strictly do commercial lots so this truck will be doing mid-large sized parking lots. Always wanted to try a wideout and when the dealer said he could get one on the truck for around $6k I got interested in the wideouts again. The boss on the dodge would be fine too, especially with wings because I think it may only be an 8.2'

4. ry_rock

ry_rock Senior Member

I would go with the expandable plow if this is the case, I think you will see real benefits with this.

I have switched over and am running all expandable plows this year, will be a first for us, but I am hoping the payoff is worth the switch!!

5. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I'd have a damn hard time deciding between the two as well.

I feel that Ford has a more durable truck overall, but the new Dodge's have come a long way too. I'm a Dodge guy for sure, but I'm not sold 100% on the 6.4 yet.

I'd probably end up going the Ford route, but have an 8'2" with wings Boss put on it. But that's for what we do, and planning for the future, I'd rather have the v and wings to pair with an Ebling.

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I love my 6.2.

7. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

I was always a ford guy and really didn't like dodge. Now I'm looking for two trucks (one is/was my personal truck that replaced a work truck) and an employee suggested checking out dodge. They have definitely come quite a way with the new dodge trucks. I'm pretty torn now. Don't think I will go wrong either way.

8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

My 2004 2500 Ram (bought new) eventually started falling apart around the awesome Cummins under the hood. I hope they have improved since then.

9. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Had an '07 Hemi and loved it. Never a single issue whatsoever. I'm now in a diesel, so I don't have first hand experience with the 6.4, only the 5.7. But I don't think the engine has changed at all, other than a larger bore/stroke. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. That being the case, I don't know why the new 6.4 wouldn't be bulletproof as well.

10. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

I won't knock the dodge as I have zero knowledge and experience with them but I will say I have been VERY happy with our 2012 6.2 thats in my sig. It also runs a 9'2" Boss V and hauls around 2 ton of salt. Very happy to the point we are in the process now of ordering another one. Seems to hold its own just fine against our diesels and has had no problems the first 22k miles. Very happy with the new Ford gassers compared to the 5.4 which I also found very doggy in larger trucks.

11. gallihersnow

gallihersnow Senior Member

12. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

If it were me i would get the 350 over the 2500. I have no experience with the hemi but the ford 6.2 is an awesome engine. I have a 9'2 and I plow a lot of my driveways once unless it is over a foot. I have never felt it was under powered. I tow heavy with it as well it is. Great engine and great platform.

13. novawagonmaster

novawagonmaster Senior Member

The Hemi is an excellent engine. The basic design between the 5.7 and 6.4 are very similar. The 6.4 really isn't new. Dodge has been using a higher performance version of the 6.4 since 2011 in the SRT Challenger, Charger, Magnum, 300, and Grand Cherokee. The truck 6.4 uses a lower compression ratio, different intake & exhaust manifolds, and tuning changes for increased torque and more durability under harsher operating conditions than the cars.

14. hellion

hellion Member

Bought a new 2014 Ram 3500 6.4 hemi Feb. 2014. Dual alternators. 4.10 Gears, limited slip rear axle. Have since installed 4.56 gears and Detroit tru trac limited slip front differential. Love the truck! Previously owned 1997 f350 diesel, 2000 f350 diesel, 2-f350 6.0 diesel trucks. Getting about 16/18 mug average. Power out the wasoo. Pushing Boss 9.2 dxt. Truck plays with it. Also have front axle timbrems as did all my fords. Don't hesitate on the Ram!

15. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I have the 6.4 ram and love it. around town i get 12mpg highway 17 to 18mpg. Tows my skid steer like it was a diesel. It's also way better looking than the ford and rides better than the ford. AS for reliability they are the same. My 07 ram has been a great truck

16. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

hellion,what made you change the gearing in your truck?Any other mods to your truck that you've made?Sorry to go a bit off topic.

17. hellion

hellion Member

My last 4 trucks were diesels and I wanted to maximize all the available torque available from the 6.4 hemi. The gearing on the diesels was 3.73:1 but the diesels have much more torque to begin with. To help compensate for less engine torque, the higher gear ratios are force (torque) multipliers. The Ram heavy duty transmission is a 6 speed with 5th and 6th in overdrive ratios. I think the engineering was skewed a little more towards gas mileage than low end grunt. They probably thought customers should go to their diesel platform if they really wanted a lot of continuous power just off idle. Ram engineering (I talked to them) felt that the gas engine was a better fit for snow plowing than diesel because today's diesels are designed for continuous high loading which isn't necessary for snow plowing. I was getting tired of the high maintenance costs, diesel fuel prices, high diesel engine upgrade expenses. But I still wanted the low end power ; hence the gear change. To be honest the 6.4 had adequate power with the 4.10 gearsets when I plowed 2 events @ 6" and 8". I setup the truck for huge events and I like some overkill. Not for everyone but what I like. Also have dedicated set of winter tires on rims. Went with Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice Wrt with studs. Combined with the detroit trutrac front differential, 1200 lbs ballast in bed, and the gears, it's the best plow truck I've owned out of 6. Also had complete body rustproofing and undercoating. This will be a 7 or 8 year piece of equipment for me.

18. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

hellion,thanks.Do you have a manual or auto trans?I've also made the switch from diesel(99 Ford and 05 Dodge)to a 2011 GMC 6.0,it's done everything that I've asked it to do.Is your Ram a regular or extended cab?I've read about some of the older trucks,like the old Power Wagons,they had 5:13 gearing or close and they had the reputation of going through anything.Thank you again for your help.

19. hellion

hellion Member

Ram 3500 4 door crew cab with 6'4 bed. Turning radius very close to my 2005 F-350's which were the super cab (not a true 4 door with exterior door handles) and 6'4" bed. My plowing location for this truck is fairly wide open so tight turns are not frequent. Would have selected shorter truck otherwise. Transmission is automatic as all previous trucks were. The Powerwagon was not ready for ordering a year ago. I would have definitely considered that with a 6.4 hemi and the 4.56 gears that are a factory option. My fuel economy with the 6.4 hemi and 4.56 gearing is within 1 or 2 mpg of the Ford F-350 6.0 diesel with 3.73 gears. Hope this helps!

20. bullit340

bullit340 Member
    from Mass

hellion-

I waited too long on a 5500 and it got sold, but that truck had 4:88 gears. It also might have had a different rear end case. It also had the aisan transmission, which has different gearing than the standard hd 6 speed.

I am a bit unsure of the 6 speed with the 4:10 gears that are in the 3500 cab and chassis trucks. After reading tons of reviews I can not seem to get a straight answer. Most reviews seem to say the transmission gearing is the problem. Some say it pulls great while others say if falls flat on its face. When comparing a 6.2 ford, the ford transmission has lower gearing and the cab and chassis usually have 4:30 gears.

I drove both the 6.2 and the 6.4 and liked them both but they were both unloaded and not towing anything.

I was thinking it would be possible to change to 4:30 if the low end was not there. Was the 4:56 set custom? Any problems fitting into that rear end or is this a standard over the counter option. How well does it drive around town with the 4:56? Is it a hugely noticeable difference from the 4:10 when towing or hauling etc...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014