1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge 5500 Experiences

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by 2004F550, Jan 13, 2015.

1. 2004F550

2004F550 Senior Member

Recently had a Chevy 3500 get totaled in an accident, the truck is driven by one of our foreman and is extended cab with a flatbed. We are thinking if replacing it with the Ram 5500, Ford is out because of previous experiences with our 6.0 PSD. We want a higher GVWR truck to handle towing needs better. Looking for any feed back on these new Rams, there are only a handful working around our area but they seem to be gaining in popularity. Any out standing issues? We would be equipping the truck as 4x4, cab 1/2, and Diesel of course and possible adding a plow.

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Don't rule out Ford 100%. The new 6.7's are totally different then the 6.0's.

3. Jack_Frost

Jack_Frost Senior Member
    from Montana

We have 4 dodge 5500 like them very tough pull great , ride like crap ,, gearing a lil low so mpg is only 8 ish

4. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

Not going to get a extended cab in a dodge. Either standard cab or 4 door only.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

But they have the Cummings!

6. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

The "Cummings" is Awesome.........:nod:

7. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

We've got an 09 4500. Just rolled over 100K and has been a great truck. Fill it with fuel, change the oil, and work it. Fuel filters, and trans services is all we've ever done aside from oil changes.

I'm not sure how they come now, but make sure you get one with the Asian transmission if they give you multiple choices.

No Ford experience past the 7.3 so can't comment there.

8. 2004F550

2004F550 Senior Member

Thanks for the replys, looking over the specs I see the extended cab isn't aval., that's pretty important because we don't want a crazy overall length. Glad to hear about the reliability...might have to take a closer look at the Fords again for the extended cab.

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The rams have come a long way recently .

I've been very happy with my Cummings and my cummins.

The diesel 1/2 ton has gotten a lot of good feed back also.

10. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

We use one of them, its an 08, and it pushes the 11ft blizzard around every winter, its got a dump box that's get put to use for landscaping all summer too, its always driven by drivers that drive it like its stolen, never had a minutes problem with the truck, its got the aisin auto in it ,

11. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

Continue to hear good things from the dodge camp, but if the cab configurations won't work for you, I would strongly take another look at Ford. Everyone is well of way of there problems from 10 years ago but these new trucks are great. Not perfect, and emissions stuff sucks, but a reliable and powerful work truck! We have a couple and have been very pleased.

12. ronJr

ronJr Junior Member

8mpg? Gas or diesel?

13. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

2012 cc 4x4 5500
    Scott aluminum dump, blizzard 8611, snowex, etc

The 8mpg is correct while plowing. I get no more than 11 ever. That would be empty at about 65mph.

It is geared very low, my box isn't very aerodynamic, and it weighs almost 11k without payload due to the dump and hoist. But it is tagged for 21k. And the tires and axles are good for up to that almost too.

Tows great, plows great, never lacks power, the Aisin transmission is much better than all the other typical dodge transmissions I have had over the years, trans temp stays low, coolant and oil temp stay low. Overall very solid so far.

The truck is great, but my DEF pump and harness fried at 18k, smoke started rolling out. Just glad it didn't burn the truck down. Fixed under warranty.

Kinda wish I had bought a used 33k truck and another new pickup instead for all the salting we do now. Outgrew it already basically. But overall the truck is super solid while working. Aside from some up fitter issues and the DEF stuff mentioned, it has been flawless. 29k now without any other problems.

Probably will be selling it off however for a larger and smaller truck. But if I needed another truck that size, I would buy another.

Dan

14. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

Lmao! gotta love all the ignorant guys with their "Cummings"!

15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

How long is the box?

When might you be selling?

16. CjBonavenia

CjBonavenia Member

Got a 2015 5500 ram diesel aluminum flatbed in nov put a 9-6 mvp3 on it with a salter it has 8500 miles on it now and I have to say after beating the hell out of it plowing all winter this thing is prob one of the best tucks I have owned I was all Chevy with the d max for years but needed a heavier truck and after owning this I might never go back

17. CjBonavenia

CjBonavenia Member

Allso got mine with 4.44 rears around 13.5 on highway empty plowing loaded with salt around 8

18. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

Gotta love the Cummings & goings! lol

19. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I just purchased two 5500's. One diesel, one gas. It will be interesting to see how they compare. I was also a Chevy guy who needed heavier duty trucks. So far, extremely impressed with them.

20. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I don't own one but all the towing co's around here have all switched from ford to rams.