1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge 5.9L V8

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by IA Farmer, Feb 25, 2007.

1. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

I apologize in advance for this long thread. I am on my second 5.9L Dodge that I have plowed with. My first was a 97 half ton, and now I have a 2001 3/4 ton. So I went out to plow this morning and the gravel roads around my house were drifted pretty badly so snow was flying up in my wheel wells and in the motor area and now my truck is missing its, like it is only running on 7 cylinders, this happened during every big snow storm with my 97 half ton and I couldn't ever figure out what the problem was, I would just pull it in our heated shop and let thaw and it would run ok again. So I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what actually is happening and is there a way to prevent this from happening in the future. Thanks Kenny
  2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

can't say I've had that problem in 4 years plowing with my 3/4 '04.
  3. dodge rammin

dodge rammin Member

Have you had it tuned up lately? Mine did this and my distributor cap was cracked - I went ahead and replaced the cap, rotor, and wires and am having much better luck and all around power and mpg.
  4. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

mine has been doing that lately and the problem with it was the wire going to the coil from dist. cap i took and siliconed mine and problem solved.

RODHALL Senior Member

water / snow is getting into the cap or coil. put a 1/8 th bead of silacone on the bottom of the cap and inside of all wire boots going into the cap.
  6. storminyoung

storminyoung Junior Member

My '99 3/4 ton did the same thing, ended up replacing the coil, plugs(needed to anyway), & wires. When I put the wires on i used di-electric grease around all the boots. Haven't had any problems since. I think the problem I had was the wires were just old and when they got a little wet the would arc on anything close.
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You guys are going to think I'm nuts, but it prevents these problems. I have new plugs, wires, cap, rotor installed every fall before winter hits. Took me a while to get my shop to understand that I don't have time for crap like this in the middle of a storm. I consider plowing to be extreme usage or whatever they call it in the manual, so I go on the low side of all maintenance recommendations on everything. Tranny flushes, fuel and air filters, tuneups, coolant flushes all are performed annually.

Not sure how many miles you have on your truck either, but if they haven't been changed since you bought it, you're way overdue.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

That has been my practice for years.

I had a 1989 GMC HD 2500 I bought with 52k on it. Plowing hard every year I owned it until there was 269K on it and a exhaust manifold cracked. I sold it. He replaced manifold and it is still going today in Kalamazoo Michigan,

I bought a 88 GMC 2500 with 48K on it after that and I still have that as the best back-up truck one can hope for.

My Dodge has 112k on it and runs strong still and like I said above I plow hard. Big commercial lots with all trucks where the stress I have put them under plowing 10 - 15 inches of wet heavy snow at the very least is extreme. Over usage or not recommended would probably be a better term.

I have always been a believer in preventive maintenance and it has kept my trucks in great shape as well.

I also wash and wax them on a regular schedule.

The one thing I have noticed about the Dodge is the coil placement. I have heard and seen this breakdown problem many times and read about it in many a forum.

When plowing and driving in winter conditions the spray from the passenger side wheel is un-real for a vehicle.

On my GMC's I have noticed they have rubber flaps over the exposed area's. I am not sure on ferds.

I have been thinking of trying to make something up to maybe rivet in that area like there is on my GMC. A small pc of rubber would do and I hope on the newer Dodge's this problem has been addressed.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2007