1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge 4500 vs ford f450

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mnconst, Sep 19, 2008.

1. mnconst

mnconst Member
    from indiana

Need help on buying a new truck I am looking at dodge 4500 or ford f450 if anybody has these pass along any info thanks
  2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

how bout a sterling
  3. canadiantowman

canadiantowman Member

the sterling and the dodge are the same truck,but the dodge will get better fuel mileage
  4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

why is that
  5. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

Be a real man, get the Chevy 5500. They are GREAT!
  6. mnconst

mnconst Member
    from indiana

I also looked at the chevy 5500 but there are a little to big for what I do
  7. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

The Dodge is a better bet I think:)
  8. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Are you buy with diesel? I vote F450 with 6.4L diesel I been hear 6.4L do good and get 15-18 mpg in F250.

Dodge with diesel not good due emission cause mpg drop much but still good enough.

For me I choose Ford F450 due heavy duty stuff.
  9. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

dodge (cummis) engine is one of the few that have good emissions, and are ready for the 2010 standards, and have been for a few yrs now. dodges also get really good fuel economy , prob. in the range of 16-19
  10. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I second getting a Chevy. If it's too big, get a size smaller. A Ford is a headache, a Dodge is suicide. Do yourself a favor and buy GM.
  11. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I am talk about new cummin 6.7L not old one 5.9L

There are several people angry and want old 5.9L because 5.9L could get 20 mpg but 6.7L get 8-14 mpg stock.

Dodge, GM, Ford diesel are not ready for 2010 standard they are still work on emission.

If you plan to mount snowplow you would be better with Dodge or Ford because gm you would not be happy how they wear front tires quick. Like you remember Ford with TTB was worse they make so they stop and switch to solid axle. You know IFS suspension for gm which good for people who enjoy drive but not work like plow on front will worn out fast then much work to replace all bushing on suspension.
  12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

New truck got I, it 08, go home from dealer get 19mpg at 75mph with air on. but it only 2500

Why gm care tire wear?

I vote the Dodge.

mill- The Dodge with a oil burner will all ready pass the 2010 emission standards......
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  13. elite1msmith

from chicago

mil, the 4500/5500 chevys are much bigger than the 2500 class, im not sure how the front suspention is done on them, but im sure it would handle a plow better than the 2500, the chevys also claim to have best turnng radius

and yes the dodge will pass 2010 emisions, and has for a few yrs now.... make you wonder what kinda of last min change ford and gm will do to meet those standards, cummis has it worked out already, tested and proven

and with out a doubt a cummis 6cyl, will get better mileage than a v-8

as for the rest of the truck? i dont have a clue , i own all gen 2 models and have been somewhat happy
  14. salopez

salopez Senior Member

If dodge could pass 2010 emmisions for "a couple of years now"

why would they have brought out a new engine now for 08 emmisions?

the 5.9 could make the new emmisions so we now have the 6.7

the4500/5500 chevy has a solid front axle like the rest.
  15. elite1msmith

from chicago

im not sure when the 6.7 came out - 07? 08? i think the new motor was indroduced so it would have similar ratings as the ford... for what ever reason ppl see the 7.3/ 6.4 - they seem to think ford has a "larger motor" and the 5.9 was too small? they indruduced the new motor as part of the 4500/5500 series.... prob just trying to use it as a selling point
  16. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

the way i understand it is that the dodge is the only one ready fro 2010???? but i may be wrong?

i herd you cant go wrong with any of them....they all get great mileage:rolleyes:

17. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  18. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

a deisel in a half ton? WTF

i don't think i can afford too many more of these New emission deisel's........i hate the 3-8mpg junker's i have now:(

thanks but no thank's.....i am going to stick to gasser's in the small truck's

19. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

What truck to buy...? always falls into preference .....
    I'd go Ford (first) and GMC (second) and dodge last IMO..
    Fords trucks may not have biggest engines but they make up for it in other areas..
  20. Ford_7.3_meyer

Ford_7.3_meyer Junior Member

I thought he said "if you OWN one of them" :dizzy:??!! Not what one you think is better.