1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge 4500 - 5500

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Marek, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Marek

Marek Senior Member

Are any of you guys running the 4500 - 5500 trucks ? If so what do you think of them ?Pros ,cons ect. Time for a new truck but fords track record isnt so great

2. jmariola

jmariola Junior Member

I just purchased a Dodge Ram 4500 4x4 with the crew cab and 60" cab axle spread. Absolutely love it. The truck is a real work horse. I would recommend it for landscaping, which I do. If you are in construction I would go with the 5500 for the extra GVW. The 4500 has the 4.44 rear end and I have been getting 12 MPG. The 5500 has the 4.88 rear end. Purchase my chasis thru Steve White Motors in Hickory NC. The guys are great and have a bunch of 4500 and 5500 chasis in stock. Check them out at their web site

I put a Galion 9 1/2' dump body on my truck. Currently trying to figure out what plow to go with on this machine.

3. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

I was pricing one out last night on the Ram site they are very reasonably priced IMO

Hope in a year or two I can afford a 4500 for my landscaping work.

4. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

the 4500 and 5500 are beasts of a truck. in my area most towing companys are swaping from ford to dodge because the dodge is just hands down more reliable. i work for a repo company and we have an 09 with 100k on it the runs like new. i dont feel the dodges have the power the fords do but when you need a truck that runs it seams to be the dodge that is doing just that. bigest thing to keep up on is oil changes as the regen puts diesel into the oil and breaks the oil down till its thin like water. other then that they seam to be the work truck to own and all this is comming from a die hard ford guy