1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge 360's

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Truck207, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Truck207

Truck207 Member
    from Maine

I was wondering how the Dodge 360 5.9L V8 were for plowing? What is their longivity? Is there any major problems with them? Any info would be great!
  2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

there ok. there not the best in the power department, but will push snow just fine. they are proven to be reliable and when maintained well you can see 160-200k without any major troubles. if you plan on pulling alot id look for a cummins :drinkup:
  3. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

bad on gas compared to other v8's
  4. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Agree with the above. 5.9 360 great for plowing, plenty of power. Longivity is high as long as you keep it maintained. No major problems that I know of, great trucks! Good luck!
  5. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Plenum gasket, not hard to replace but time consuming.
  6. tuna

tuna Senior Member

They made them 30+ years got to have something going for them.
  7. Truck207

Truck207 Member
    from Maine

Thanks for all the info. I am looking at one that has high miles and looses some oil. The person says it has a little pressure loss in one of the cylinders (or a cracked ring), is that something to be really worried about? How would you fix it?
  8. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

id be worried about that. theres ton of these tucks out there and they dont bring much money, id keep looking for strong running one if it was me.
  9. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah I'd pass and keep looking unless your talking under $1000 for that truck. Loosing oil could just be a plenum gasket, but losing compression is something else. Unless you feel like wrenching and buying a short/long block and replacing it.

The 360 isn't something to be worried about, even with some mileage on them. They do suck gas, but they are a torque motor that tow and push snow well. They're performance was on par with the other engines of the 90's. The one thing I'd look out for on one with miles is the tranny-make sure it shifts well and doesn't have burnt fluid.
  10. plowmaster07

plowmaster07 Senior Member

I've found no problems pushing, or towing. My engine is the 5.9 360 with 139,000 on it. It burns a little oil, but nothing huge (about 1qt. every 3000mi). It does get around 10-12 when working/driving. But for now I'm okay with it. Hope it helps your search.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

check the front end out they suck, the track bars are junk and need replacing every few years if your plowing with them,plentum gaskets are common, auto trannys need to be babied alittle or they will overheat. other then that its a real basic truck, not much to em. and they typically use a quart of oil between oil changes, nothing to be worried about.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

The first gen trucks are better than the second with respect to the trans isssues. Had an 93 w350 with a 4.1 3 speed auto. Truck was useless on the highway but awsome for plowing or pulling. Sure they might be ugly as sin but dependable as hell...... As for milage, any 90's gas truck isn't very good on fuel but a Cummins is in a league of its own!!!

For the truck you are looking at pass!!! Much better ones out there, just be patient the right truck will come around!!
  13. Truck207

Truck207 Member
    from Maine

The truck I am looking at has 190,000 miles. It is having the transmission rebuilt right now and it also has new tie rods. The guy is asking for $4500 with an about 2 year old Boss V plow and $5000 with the plow and a dump insert. The truck is in pretty shape, the only thing I am worried about is the little pressure loss in one cyclinder. He said if he plows 24 hours straight or hauls trailers all week, he uses about a quart in 2 weeks. So what do you guys think could be causing the pressure and oil loss?
  14. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Talk him down, might not be a bad deal. Plow is worth all of $3k........
  15. wildbl1500

wildbl1500 Senior Member

My '97 1500 had the 360 and I replaced the trans once just shy of 90k and sold it with 230k miles. I plowed with it the last 5 years I had it. It had the intake gasket issue when I bought it but I don't remember too much maintenance other than that and a couple water pumps. It had great power for a half ton. Gas mileage wasn't so great when I sold it- I want to say around 11 or 12 mpg without a load or plow.
  16. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

The oil consumption could be anything but I'd bet the plenum gasket needs to be replaced.
  17. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I have a 98 with a 360. I just finished putting a new motor in tonight. It was burning a quart of oil every week or 2 in the summer when I was towing 7 days a week. I would not buy it burning that much oil. I then developed a rod knock before replacing it and also got 4 mpgs. The plenum gasket was shot as others have noted. The timing chain cover gaskets seem to go on the upper corners also because the metal is thin there. It has had 3 tranny rebuilds in the last 50,000 miles. 1 was before I got it and 1 was 2 weeks after another which was probably mechanic error. You're problems will only get worse, and fast if its burning that much oil. Have it compression tested and collant system pressure tested before buying. Then you will know if its just a gasket, or if the rings are shot.

Don't get me wrong, this truck is a beast. Even at its worst with rod knock and all it would pull a 10K trailer better than my 5.4L (underpowerd, poorly designed paper-weight) Ford F250 on its best day. I will be buying a new dodge this year, but it will have a cummins.
  18. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 Senior Member
    from wooster

these motors are good motors they get better gas milage than the 5.2L they have good power and will last we had a old beat to crap farm truck with 6 different transmissions but same motor and it had over 300k on it and yes you have to add oil to them when they get older but worth it

the transmissions suck they can be made to be good enough or swapped out with a 5 speed and they will last longer but your looking more money and the fenders, doors, cab corners, rockers, and bed wheel wells will rust out on you if you dont wash out the salt and crap from the drain holes cause they are so small they get pluged and then rust out the sides

but for $5000 it might be high but when you look at buying the dump bed and the plow new its already over $5000 so might be worth it what year of truck is it?

o and also a cheap help for the tranny is a huge cooler up front and have it flushed out every 36k