1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge 3500/4500/5500 cabs with the hemi??

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by SpruceLandscape, Feb 26, 2008.

1. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

Has anyone here bought a newer (say less than 3 years old) 3/4 ton or up truck with the hemi?
    If so, how many miles do you have, what trans and mileage are you getting?
    Any problems/recalls?
    how is the power for towing and pushing snow?

Im considering getting a newer cab/chassis combo, but going with the hemi instead of the Cummins because I just don't think I'll be putting enough miles on that truck to justify getting a diesel... I'll never see the fuel savings over the increase for the mileage, and chances are the body will rot off before I put more than 120k miles on it.
    Anyways... I've been tossing around the idea of getting into the cabovers (NPR or NPR HD) but was at the auto show the other night and really liked the dodge cab/chassis as well.
    Thanks guys (and gals)
  2. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

You can only get a 3500 cab/chassis with the HEMI, 4500 and 5500 only come with a Diesel engine.
  3. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I bought an 07 3500.chassis cab with a hemi. My plow is a 9.5 extreem V and run a 2yrd salter in the back. The truck has no trouble pushing snow or pulling my skid steer . It only 4,500. mi with 0 troubles. So far I am 7mpg but cal that pulling my enclosed 16' landscape trailer full of mowers.
    I was going to buy the 6.7 motor but I wanted to be able to put 1000lbs more in the truck. I also could not justify the extra 10k for a truck that I only put 10 - 12 k on a yr.
  4. KTM

KTM Junior Member

slplow, what kind of skid loader or what is the weight that you pull with the Hemi? Just curious for my next truck purchase.
  5. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

KTM, It's a thomas 153. It weighs about 5,500lbs or so.