1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge 2500

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Marek, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Marek

Marek Senior Member

Looking for a 2500 - 3500 for one of my sons. 2001 - 2006. Looking for a 4 door short bed or mega cab short bed. 5.9 Cummins is a must. Is there anything to look out for or any yr to stay away from ? I have had all fords since 95 so kinda out of the loop on the Dodge trucks. We will be putting a plow on it , Western 8.5 more than likely. Any advice would be apriciated.
  2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd stick to 2003 and newer. They will have either the HEMI and 545RFE Tranny or the Cummins 5.9/47or48RE. The 2001/2002 was the older body style with the 5.9 gas motors and 47RE tranny that was known to give plenty of issues.

The common problems with them is like the Fords- they eat ball joints, track bar's, u-joints, bearings on the solid front axles. Other than that they are stout rigs. I was going back and forth between the Superduty (05-07) and a Ram 2500 and ended up with the Ram because of the deal I got but overall I'm very happy with it for a gas 3/4 ton. It has plenty of power for a truck this size (with 4.10's).

Whoops- I missed the Cummins is a must part! The 2004.5 and newer models are the ones to look for. They have more power and the 48RE tranny which can be built to be bullet proof. From what I've read they seems to fail mostly from torque converters going when you add modifications to them, otherwise they hold up fine with stock power.