1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge 2500 vs Ford 250 Crew Cab Diesel

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by odd1or2even, Apr 25, 2010.

1. odd1or2even

odd1or2even Senior Member

I was wondering if I ought to switch from going with an F250 Diesel to a Dodge Cummins? I've always dealt with gasoline engines, but I'm doing more towing with my landscaping business (14 foot dump trailer) and enclosed trailer, and 30+ foot travel trailer.

My question is, what years are good for diesels in both dodge and ford and things to look for? Also, would you consider buying a a truck that already has a plow on it (not knowing how the driver used it)? If course asking and looking over the truck and driving it can only show a bit of how the truck was used... Thanks

The truck I was looking at for a Dodge was an 04 2500 Crew Cab with the 5.9 Inline 6 diesel with a 8' Boss plow with about 116K miles for about $16,500. Worth it?
  2. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

That price is reasonable. Not a great deal, but it could be if you talked them down. Also depends a lot on the care taken. Is it 116K with minimal maintenance?? Probably has a lot of front end parts that are about to go. Maybe it has a bunch of new front end parts?? I use that as an example because that tends to be the weak link in Dodges. Does it need brakes, tires???
    Personally, I buy all my plow trucks without a plow then put my own plow on. I don't have any first hand experience to compare your two choices though. Nothing wrong with Dodge. I like my 03 Dodge better than my 07 Toyota Tundra.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I was basically in your same boat but ended up with a gasser. I looked for about 4 months at all 3 Makes of 3/4 & 1 ton trucks. To me it was - What am I going to get for my money? I really wanted as low mileage as possible, I needed an extended cab but wanted a crew cab with doors you can open from the outside without having to open the front doors, I wanted a diesel but would get a gas, and preferred not to have one with a plow on it but soon realized you can tell a lot about the truck by looking at the plow- A nice clean plow that isn't beat up, generally showed in the truck being nice clean and not beat up.

I ended up with my current truck because it met everything I needed and wanted (except for the diesel part) and had previously had a plow on it. The plow wasn't with the truck so I can't really say how the plow looked. But the dealer I bought it from replaced everything in the front end prior to me buying (I looked myself to double check) and the rest of the truck is in great shape.

I actually found the old owners info off of the title and called him up- Nice older guy who was a carpenter and used the plow at his house only. I feel like I lucked out.
  4. 04f250fisher

04f250fisher Senior Member

I went from a 04 ford 6.0 to my dodge and it was night and day. The dodge is AWSOME
  5. odd1or2even

odd1or2even Senior Member

What do you guys get for fuel mileage when: towing a Trailer, city, and highway? Also for kicks and gigles what do you get for plowing snow?

I am getting about 6-8 miles to the gallon (if I recall) on my 03 F150 5.4L truck but who really cares when you're out for 15+ hours plowing you know.
  6. 04f250fisher

04f250fisher Senior Member

At 70mph i get 18 on the highway. around town and towing a 16' landscape trailer with a rider and walk i get about 13. Never really kept track plowing. Its about the same as towing.