1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge 2500 Sport Quad for plow truck??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brother1, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Brother1

Brother1 Member

Hey guys - I have a 2001 Dodge Sport Quad Cab that is my personal truck but think I'm going to put a plow on it to add to our fleet at least as a backup truck. I don't have the plow prep package on it and know i'll have to add this so I don't void the warranty. Was just wondering if anybody has any experience with these and what they thought. And what plows might work better with this truck. Hoping I don't have to break the bank to set this truck up.

2. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

The plastic bumper cover has to be cut on the 01 ram... the springs ar lighter in the sport as well... you might look at heavier springs or timberens. The plow prep on 2001 included a HD transfer case (Heavy duty chain), heavy springs, a transmission temp light, HO alternator, and HD cooling

3. Clean Cut Lawns

Clean Cut Lawns Banned

Gas or Diesel?

On my 1998 ram 2500 quad cab diesel i had no plow prep but had all the HD trans, HD Transfer case, HD alternator, and HD Springs b/c of the diesel option!
    I put a 8' snow way plow on mine and love it! the truck carries it well.

4. Ben

Ben Member

I had a 1998 ram with a 7'6" boss, only problem was should have went with a bigger blade.:) Truck handles the blade no problem

5. Brother1

Brother1 Member

Thanks for the replies guys. And ceamon thanks for the note about the plastic bumper. I actually caught it backign over an ice pile this week and cracked it so I might hold off on fixing that until i figure out what I'm going to do about a plow. The truck is gas not diesel and I gotta look at my stuff again - I think I have some HD stuff on the truck already but not sure. Sounds like you guys all had good experiences with the truck itself with the plow so thats a plus. I'm gonna call the dealer this week and see what they say. Thanks again and any additional comments are greatly appreciated.

6. Shadetree Ltd.

Shadetree Ltd. Junior Member

I have been plowing with my 99 2500 since new and have not had any problems yet. I also factory ordered mine with the plow prep and every HD option avaiable though. I have a 7.5' Fisher on it, if I were to do it again I would try the 8.5' V.

Scott

tempdoge.jpg

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

You should be fine

We have several Dodges,all diesel though.Not many have the plow prep,the diesel comes with most of it.Here is a pic of our oldest.350,000 K and counting,mostly all original,even the automatic trans.Carries a 9ft western,which extends to 12 ft,so it's pretty heavy.

plowsmall.jpg

8. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Pretty much what ceaman says is right on. The plow prep pkg. adds in the needed goodies and gives the truck Dodge's blessing for a vehicle warranty. I believe the option only costs a few hundred, if that. I'll have to get out my window sticker and look at it just for the heck of it.

I also have the Camper Special option that adds anti-sway and aux leafs. Between those options, the V10 powertrain, and 4-wheel ABS, it sure tracks nicely, with or without plow.

I'd inquire with your dealer about voiding a warranty on your specific model as presently setup. Get it in writing from them if they approve it afterall!! Better yet, is a written letter from Dodge Cust. Svc. and that's good to go at any dealership then.