1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge 2500 Quad 4x4

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Comet, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Comet

Comet Senior Member

My 1999 Chevy 3500 4x4 is at Dejana's in Kings park right now
    I was upgrading to a 9' Pro Plus with wings last week but when my old unimount came off they located severe chassis rot.
    I cant use the truck no more for plowing

I had to scramble all week and I purchased yesterday a:
    2001 Dodge Ram Quad 2500 5.9L SFI OHV 16V Magnum 4x4 with 8' bed

The quick match claims I can put quite a few different plows on it

My question is even though the quick match says yes;
    Can this 2500 saftley handle at least an 8' Pro Plus with wings or possibly the 8.5 w/wings on this 2500?

Should I stay away from the pro plus's and install a 8.5 Pro?
    I really wanted to fly with wings this year lol but the Chevy let me down

thanks in advance

2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

anything ematch or quickmatch recommends is within your front gvwr so your good to go.
    the truck will handle it fine, on a side note with the dodge i would recomend a trans temp gauge. :drinkup:

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Depending on the axle in the front I think you can put almost anyblade on the tuck. For the truck will be able to push anything with the v10. Sure is a nice clean unit, make sure you have it oil sprayed this time !!!!! Enjoy!!
  4. GatorDL55

GatorDL55 Senior Member

What'd that truck run you? I got basically the same set up a few weeks ago.
  5. Comet

Comet Senior Member

Well what happens is (I drove it to Dejana's) Dejana says its still only an extended cab and not a quad, ( I guess quads or suppose to have 4 doors and not these tiny doors) I never knew,
    and the quick match shows Quad and Cab only to choose from,
    So Dejana wants to only place an 8' Pro Plus with wings even though the quick match indicates all the way up to a wide out

Beets me :dizzy:
  6. Comet

Comet Senior Member

The trucks trani has a trani cooler, would you still recommend a temp guage?
  7. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

yea its still a good idea, the best place to put one is in the transmsion line before the cooler. once your stock trans temp light comes on its too late and the damage has been done, there about 50 bucks and easy to install.

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

Never been a better truck built to plow and salt with. Only thing that makes that better is a Cummins. Put ANY plow you want on there. Set TWO skids of salt in the rear (5000#) and haul axx. Thats twice the truck as what you had. I buy trucks like that used, and even older ones every chance I get. Nice looking truck. Its got a trans temp light on it probably on lower right dash. They will come on from time to time if you are working it REALLY hard but its not a problem.
  9. Comet

Comet Senior Member

Thanks for the support, I will be getting an 8.5 Western Pro Plus with wings :angel: next week on the 2nd :)
    I will post photos sometime after that
    I still cant believe my 3500 will never push snow again

I think the 2500 series Dodge can carry as much as the Chevy 3500 !!! For a fact every 2500 Chev I have owned had to visit the spring shop for some extra leafs. Only one Dodge, it was a 1500 series truck tho!!!

The trans on this era of truck are the weak link. Make sure you take care of them, get the temperature idiot light, with a buzzer or chime and perhaps look into a extra capacity tranny pan. More volume of fluid, harder to get hot!!!! Once you bake the trans you get to pull it out. Myself I rather hear a chime from the dash and save the trans than spend 2500-4000 fixing it!!!

Inspect the front ends fequently they too are soft. You will not miss the 3500 as soon as you start pushing the white stuff. These Dodges are built to be worked and by doing some preventative maintenance they will last a very long time!!!!

Get it oil sprayed !!!!!
    Trust me!!! The bodies fall apart before the drive line quits!!!:nod:
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  12. Comet

Comet Senior Member

When you say oil sprayed are you refering to having it undercoated?
    Thanks in advance

Not quite, they cover the entire underside of the truck with a film much like Fluid Film. They also drill holes in the body pannels and doors to spray oil inside the panels. This will keep the moisture and salt from touching the body. In the spring you can use a degreaser and power washer to remove the excess dirt and grime.
  14. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

What are you guys talking for a max temperature in the tranny line???
  15. Comet

Comet Senior Member

I had said I would post photos

I finally got the new Western 8.5' with wings installed yesterday
    The truck handles it really well wesport
    The ultramount system is so fabulous!!!!!, Its so easy to connect and disconnect
    No more heavy steel bars for me, my life has now changed

I will be using the Magnum Poly 2 Yard spreader for ballast,
    I wont have room for my snow blower though :confused:

Good luck with the new iron!!! You might get to try her out tomorow by the looks of things. Trust me you are going to love pushing with the Dodge!!!!
  17. Comet

Comet Senior Member

Thanks, I cant wait to use it
    I definitely want to get everything sprayed up like you had indicated
    I need change that mini beacon LED light, its too much like a disco club

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

sweet truck man, she will push whatever you put in front of it.
  19. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Pre-Regular tranny flushes will help out alot, yes I recomend the Temp Gauge cooler or not, and an upgraded cooler, like a trans-go or BM is always better than a stock one. If you can't hold your hand t your trans return lines, your running too hot. I'm not sure, but I believe the trans pumps in dodge's dont run while in park, so if your trying to let it cool off,,park may not be flowing.

Besides the front ends,,,especially ball oints being weak, the trucks are definate work horses, you'll find the 5.9 to be one thirsty SOB,,,but it will run for-friggin-ever with oil changes.